Chapter 6: Ill come back

Bree

The next morning I woke up feeling rather beat up, my nightmare had made me feel like I was drowning in my own sweat and I was disgusted with myself. As usual I raced down the hall, praying that no one saw me like this I slammed the door shut behind me when I reached the haven of the bathroom and ran with my sweaty oversized tee right into the devil himself as he was brushing his teeth.

I looked up just about ready to scream my lungs out at a robber when I caught sight of the icy blue color of my brother’s wide innocent eyes. 

“Liam,” I said keeping my voice level and clear of all emotion, even though inside my head I had a very confused man running around screaming. What the…(insert curse word of choice here)… “What are you doing brushing your teeth in my bathroom.” 

Five minutes later chaos had broken out and my family was in complete and utter confusion Liam had run away when he was my age. This was two years ago. He was now nineteen and looking and smelling like a homeless person. He had caused my parents endless meetings with the police and they had even accused my dad of taking him. Since Liam never left a note or anything, we all assumed his death. This is the kind of thing I don’t think parents could ever recover from, well my parents had tried. Every Sunday we had a family day. We would sit and talk and play monopoly, cards and watch movies. I was their baby girl now and they looked after me with renewed attention and focus. They still cried, all the time. I had to listen to them fight sometimes about my dad or mom not caring enough. And here we are again. Liam just showed up and brushed his teeth in the bathroom and slept in his old bed.

My mom didn’t stop crying and hugging him. My dad showed more compassion than I had ever seen. And me? I was furious I was happy at first, I had missed him a lot, but after the “Yay! My big brothers home and alive and YAY!” thing was done. I was pretty dam upset.

“You bastred!!!” I shouted at him, “You inconsiderate, little…frikking, lying, and stupid bastred!” I stood up pointing my finger at him as I said this.

“Braelyn Vicks,” my father looked at me from where he and my mother were sitting with him between them on the couch. I was sitting on the opposite chair with my mouth hanging open like some half starved mutt, as he fed us some crappy story of how he had felt misunderstood and I did not believe one frikking minute of it. 

“No way,” I said again I was pacing like a person demented. This stupid selfish twit just leaves and now expects me to love him like old times. 

I was fourteen. We never fought like other brothers and sisters. We were really close. And then he left. Tears the size boulders started to roll down my cheeks, “You left me.” I said looked up at him and let my tears fall. 

What? So maybe I was being just a little bit dramatic, but him being here hadn’t hit me fully yet. And I was sure at some point a camera would come popping up and a guy with a cheesy Elvis hairstyle and white suit would jump up and say, “You’ve been caught! This isn’t really your brother this is a cheap robot!” 

Ok that wasn’t really going to happen, but I had expected it. 

I had watched my brothers face pull into a grimace and by the time he had even opened his mouth I was running through the kitchen and down our road. 

Without thinking about it I headed straight for Rega’s shop, she wouldn’t ask why I looked upset. She would just give me coffee. The way I like it. 

Before I could get there I remembered I probably would look really bad, I was only dimly aware of the t-shirt and shorts I had thrown on in my rush to hear where the hell my loving brother had been. And the tears plus I would probably not have brushed my teeth. 

Well, better only Rega see me and not a entire street full of people right?

I walked in and immediately noticed her head of dark curls at the table. She looked up and went straight to the kitchen in the back where I heard the kettle start to boil and mugs clatter. At her table was a strange amount of books, I walked over to investigate, my brother for the moment forgotten, they were all on vampires. I even saw a Twilight novel. I paged through the book with slight bore, I mean it was a good book and all, but we all know you can only hear a story so many times. 

“Its all wrong you know.” Rega came from behind me carrying two cups of steaming and rich coffee, “These-“ she said pointing to a couple of books that looked rather new (including twilight), “They all go on about how vampires need blood all the time.” She rolled her eyes.

Wow, so Rega was a believer. Weird, ”Uhm, really?” I said trying not to seem to freak out about it.

“Nah,” she tapped another old bound book, “This on on the other hand has a good point. I think this guy was actually right. Or as close as we ever will come. Go on read it.” 

The species in question have trainable systems, so by conclusion I believe that if they so wish it they could possibly be trained to live on a human diet, possibly even fully. 

I looked up at Rega and shrugged.

She rolled her eyes, “The same man claimed to be a vampire a year after this book was published and this is his journal,” She held up a flimsy leather book held by a piece of rope, “here read this.”

She had flipped through several pages before stopping and putting it in front of me.  I tried not to dwell on the fact that I had no idea how Rega could get a hand on this poor souls journal especially since by the looks of things this thing was older than even Mr Morris (our biology teacher).

I am completely able to do all I thought I would be able to do. I can speak to those around me without uttering a word, and they don’t even realize its happening, for example, today I asked Mrs Hemlock where her husband was she informed me that he was out doing gods work among the sewer people, meanwhile I distinctly heard her saying how she thought the scoundrel was off with the parlor maid in the barn!   

When I asked her what she thought he was doing with the maid she had answered hotly that she didn’t know what I was talking about lifted her hefty skirts and scurried away not uttering a single word to me since!

I have concluded I heard her thought train! This amazes me and I realized pretty fast it was like a projection device, I could hear all the thoughts of those individuals who I sought to communicate with, but not at all the rest.

My body can adapt and be trained, I know now that my previous hypothesis was correct. I do not need blood. My enjoyment of it leaves me breathless. 

Taking lives, feeling them drain. It gives the monster in me pleasure. Of all my abilities I would give it up in a heartbeat to get rid of the monster. It is a mad thing inside me it runs around and screams at me to kill. I will not give in to it. I will find out all I can from this odd species and then rid myself from this earth. Otherwise the monster will win, and death will be its prize.

Rega ripped the book from my hands and glared at me, “Here,” she said handing me a picture, “Its him.” 

I was looking into a scruffy old guy.  Not kidding. He was thin and gnarled as a piece of rope. He had kind soft eyes, but they were completely black it was unnerving. The only way I could describe him was adorable (apart from the creepy ass eyes).

“His name was Michael Andrew Stephen John Parks,” Rega shrugged, “ A mouth full I know, but the man was great. He was the start of a legendary long line of vampires, all inside one family. He was also the start of the vampire hunters, or huntresses.”

Rega went to another shelf where she pulled out (surprise surprise) another old book, this one bound in green leather. It was printed I noticed when she skipped through a couple of pages, “Nature,” she read, “always tries to balance out and in this particular family it did that job fairly well. All females in the bloodline will become hunters, vampire hunters. Males will be turned as soon as they reach maturity. By the sons closest living vampire relative. Considering vampires life spans this isn’t a problem.” Snap! She closed the book, “So interesting.” She said looking at me, “Don’t you think?”

“Yes,” I said, despite my self I was enjoying the story. I always had my head in the clouds maybe this was how I could let that crazy part of my brain keep busy.