Chapter 3: Lucky Run

Bree’s POV

“Better than last time, Bree.” Mr. Tanner said putting my written paper on World War II on my desk; I could see whole sections crossed out in red pen, two or three ticks and a massive B- in a circle. I smile, my mom would like this. She would think I’m improving and moving on, but for me to move on, I turn around from my desk in the front of the class to receive several glares, they have to move on and that was not going to happen.

When the bell rang, finally ending a heated debate about the pointlessness of war with Mr. Tanner and a couple of other students, I slinked out of the class first as everyone packs bags and memorizes homework. It’s better that I don't give them time to mock me.

I try to walk fast towards the cafeteria; I need to get my corner table. It’s raining today so sitting outside on the small wall that separates the school gardens from the student parking lots will never work. I was looking over my shoulder watching the other student stream out of their classrooms like sheep following each other. I walked faster around the corner and bumped right into some one. My books and pencils scattered around us and I immediately dropped to the floor in an effort to selvage them before they get trampled into an unrecognizable state. The other person dropped too as well and starts saying sorry, as soon as I heared his voice my hand froze over a pencil and I looked up right into green eyes, the type of eyes that are the color of fresh baby leaves, then I see the strong nose, the full lips, the baby round face and the dark curled hair.

“Kade.” I say, I want my voice to come out cold, but like in all the bad movies it comes out like a whisper and a squeak combined, because at that moment I remember us sitting on the couch at my house for the first time.

In my nervousness I had knocked over a whole bowl of popcorn and we had crawled over the floor picking up bits of white salty crisps for about a minute when we bumped our heads together, we both looked up saying sorry and I then saw his eyes, and that’s when he kissed me. It was the best date a girl could ask for, and we spent the rest of the night watching horror movies and snuggling into one another. The next day he had brought me a rose in front of all my friends as we sat together. They had squealed and laughed telling me we were the perfect couple. Everything was public; I didn't realized that had applied to all our romantic affairs.

“Bree,” He blurted. “How are you?” He said it like it was awkward for him, it was his fault! Should he not be arrogant? Maybe irritated with seeing me? I could have even dealt with anger, but awkward? That I could not do, so like a kid I grabbed my notebook from him stood up and walked away.

Stupid frikking, arrogant cow jerk idiot-I cursed him with every word I knew as I stomped away.

When I got to the cafeteria my table was taken by a couple of scared looking freshman, crap, I grabbed my food and went to sit in the library, which was always empty. I wish my luck would span through a day and not stop and start like some broken machine. I swear it was just tragedy after tragedy like a never ending nightmare.

I wish I could just disappear…