Chapter 5: Breakfast for Two

Bree’s POV

As soon as I stopped talking to mom I wondered what I was thinking. This guy could be some kind of psycho rapist! He came out of Rega’s shop though, that can’t mean he’s all-bad. Right? Rega was the only one of my friends who hadn’t shunned me. We weren’t close, but I enjoyed her company and spent some days hanging out with her at her shop, sometimes we didn’t even speak. We never really needed to unless she asked me for coffee. 

It started when I was young and Rega just opened her shop. My mom looked at it like it was some kind of toxic waste plantation, so naturally the twelve-year-old rebellious Bree had started to hang out there. Rega never kicked me out so I would just sit there sometimes, other times I would look at all the odd herbs she had stacked and the weird figurines that looked so morbidly evil or reed. She told me not to touch them though, said they were cursed and others were full of magic. Yeah, right. There was never any pressure there so when I got too stressed I would tell my mom I’m going out to hang with friends and head straight to Rega. 

But Rega isn’t the problem! I scolded myself as I walked through the front door. You are not seeing that guy tomorrow, but even as I thought this I realized I was lying to myself. I was too curious. So I would go and I would look good I decided. 

The next morning I woke from my dream happy and folded into the blankets. I ran a shower washed my hair blow-dried it. Wore make up and even wore jeans and a cute frilly baby doll top and pumps.  

My mom would love this, but would she love why I’m doing it? A new boy. I’m sure she’d freak if I told her I was doing it for…? Wait, I didn’t even know the guys name! I’m going mad.

“Chill,” I say to my reflection as I put lipstick on, “We go, we see, we find out how I know him and then we leave!” I nod to myself. Then I remember something my mom once said to me. The first sign that you’re going crazy is you talk to yourself.  

Great!

***

Kai’s POV

***

I made sure I would be able to go with the girl the next day by tying Rega to a chair, when she woke she wasn’t happy cursing me all night long I was sure I wouldn’t get any sleep, but like any sound when you’re tired it soon became a background drone. Easy to ignore. When I woke up she was slumped and snoring slightly. I tried not laughing, but a short snort escaped me causing her to start and look up at me sleepily.

“Morning,” I said way too brightly, like I was bringing her coffee or something, “So I’m going to assume that when I release you, you are either going to, A, kick me out or B, try to kill me. I choose to just leave without the extra drama if you don’t mind.” I smirked and it made her scoff in disgust.

“And what on earth makes you think that’s going to happen?” Rega said glaring at me like a snake.

“Well I’m going to leave you here, maybe live in a hotel, maybe not,” I shrugged, “Main point: don’t try to find me. Ok bye now.” I smiled and shut the door on another string of curses that would have a sailor blushing. 

After a bit of reading and going through people’s minds I found out where the coffee shop she spoke about was. It was an odd place, half chaotic half sane. It had a high roof that sloped on one side to a section of low roof where the kitchen was situated in full view of the customers. The wall facing the street was completely made of glass except for a small strip where the door was situated. Tables of all sizes were strewn across the floor, like a baby giant threw a tantrum with her toys. All the chairs where different and there was an odd mixture of potted plants on every table and in every corner. It suited her so well I thought looking at an odd painting on the wall while I sat down. 

Within seconds she plopped herself down opposite me. She huffed unhappily and threw down her bag on the remaining chair; she turned around and beckoned a young waiter who hurried up to us with an eager expression. That faded when he saw me. I rolled my eyes and smirked at the youth, he was fishing way out of his league. Then again she was damaged goods…

“Hi,” She said to him as he stopped at our table, “Tea for me and he’ll have--“

“Coffee,” I slipped in easily, “Cold milk, please.”  He scurried away still looking back at our table with cold venom.

“So,” she started, it was then that I noticed why the youth was so besotted, today she looked almost together, only dark circles under her eyes gave her away. 

She looked beautiful, the make-up didn’t suit her, in my opinion, but her clothes were feminine and flowery, this suited her very well. And I could feel that she was stronger in mind than I had thought the day previous. My hunger swelled, my fangs lengthened, but I knew how pointless that was. People who were happy tasted better, but remembered well. It was so hard to find a decent human that was sad. I sighed, then I’ll make this quick get out of here and leave. I didn’t want Rega on my trail anyway.   

But my plan fell into little shattered pieces when she started talking…

*** 

 Bree’s POV

***

He was actually nice to talk to. My plan about finding out about him and leaving evaporated. We spoke about a lot. Where we had been (Him: everywhere. Me: nowhere), what our favorite food was (Him: Meat? Me: Soup), where we grew up (Him: Everywhere Me: Here). It wasn’t a mind-blowing conversation, but it was interesting, I liked how he talked, how he listened and how odd things distracted him. Not that he knew I noticed, but every now and then his head would flicker to the side or his eyes would dart away from my face and back again. 

He was interesting, but there was something off about him, but that didn’t bother me as long as it didn’t bother him. He seemed open enough, but I was sure they’re where things he wasn’t saying. Not that I expected him to give me his life story I mean we only met recently. When I put my second empty coffee mug down he looked almost sad and I knew I didn’t really want to stop either, but I mean I had to get home. Not that there was much to do at home…my mom would be worried. I concluded that’s why I had to get home.

“You have to go.” He said smiling. And coming round to help me up. He led me out so fast I almost didn’t notice what a sizable tip he left for the waiter. Golly this guy was loaded!