VVonders of Christmas.

The source of inspiration: PsiElementObliterate was explaining me the usage of quote marks a long time ago, and they used this example:

     "What do you mean by 'you're not going to get me'? Was I ever trying to get you?" Robert smirked.

     "Fuck you." Rachel replied. "You think you're all that but you're not. All that 'swag' and you can't get a decent job."

     "A decent job?" Robert scoffed. "What is a decent job, Russ? Running around serving people like a fucking slave is what you call a decent job?"

     "It keeps the roof above our heads, no thanks to you! Me, Danny and Parker are working our butts off, whereas all you do is drink, smoke and bet away our money."

     "And who do we owe this situation to? 'Oh, guys, I have an idea! We should all move in together after we graduate! I'll be a writer, Parker an actor, Daniel an engineer and Robby a model'! Well, guess what! You and Daniel are waiters, Sparkler's a cashier and me?"

     Robert pointed a finger at his chest, walking closer to the brunet, snow squeaking violently under his heavy steps.

     "I'm enjoying life, is what I'm doing."

     "And how would you exactly 'enjoy life' if it wasn't for us? For our apartment?"

     "Are you saying I wouldn't manage without you?" Robert murmured huskily with a daring grin.

     Russ knew not to accept that silent dare, the man would do anything to prove himself, but

     "Yes."

     Robert walked away.

<><><><><><><> 

     Russ was violently rubbing the table in the usual circle motion, despite the spot being clean enough for him to see his frowning expression on it.

     He was only doing it to distract himself from the vibrating phone in his pocket. And he sighed in relief the moment it stopped, only for a few seconds to pass before it went off again.

     "I'm not supposed to use my phone on shifts, Parker. Can't you call Daniel, he's on break." he murmured, darting a glance at his eating friend.

     "He's not back."

     Russ closed his eyes and exhaled heavily. "Don't you think it would be far more productive to call when he is back, not when he isn't?"

     "I'm just worried, it's been three da-"

     "I know, all right? He'll manage, he's fine."

     "How do you know?"

     "It's Robert we're speaking of. I've tried to get him off our backs so many times, it wouldn't be this easy."

     He heard Parker sigh, but before the man got to argue, he heard a small beep on the phone, meaning someone was trying to reach him.

     "I'm getting another call, see you home."

     Changing the line, he murmured a 'Hello?'

     When only breathing replied, he moved the phone away to check the caller's ID and felt a lump form in his throat when he saw the picture of him and the man.