Voerman the thoughtful.

Society is one indecisive complexity of people, Voerman thought as he gazed at the ceiling.

     For example: if him and someone else were to be in a room without furniture, it would only be natural and unnoticeable to lay on the floor. But if a person is to see you lying on the floor of a room with furniture, they'll freak out. Why was that?

     He tilted his head curiously as he took in the feeling. Doing something like that really felt interesting. Just lying there on the floor when there was furniture all around him- it was so different and uncommon that it made his body feel as if it was going to impulsively stand up any time now, just because it's been used  to that conception.

     "For God's sake, Landon Voerman, what are you doing on the tiled floor? You'll catch a cold!" his mom scolded when she entered the kitchen, avoiding his limbs as she tried to reach the oven. "You should spend more time searching for a job rather than analyzing whatever theories cross that unhealthy mind of yours!"

     Voerman sat up. "Yes, jobs. Quite the paradoxical matter they are. See, people go to schools in order to have a job in the future. When they do get one, an amount of their salary automatically goes into pension funds- amongst other things-, so basically, when we retire we receive a pension that is our money to begin with, yet we'll have to wait monthly to have access to a small amount of it. Despite those being the money we put there in the first place."

     His mother darted a tired look his way, the way she would whenever he'd start rambling like that. "You said 'we', but you don't even have a job."

     Voerman squinted. "You have a point. But getting a job would eventually offer me the possibility of moving out, away from mother dearest. You wouldn't want that, would you?"

     "Is that a trick question." his mother joked, standing on her toes to search the cupboards. She sighed as she didn't seem to find what she was looking for. "Go buy me a jar of honey, will you?" she asked, grabbing her purse and rummaging through it. "And don't bring a mouse with you this time." the mother added pointedly.

     "I told you, they have as much pet potentiality as a cat, dog, parrot-"

     "Oh, just go."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><> 

     Voerman walked along the sidewalk, looking curiously at the people around him.

     Another thing that amazed him was the way every single person had a purpose, a destination, every crowd being parted in people that go his way and people that go the opposite way. But why was it so awkward for a person to suddenly change their direction?

     With a frown, he turned 180 degrees and walked the opposite way, feeling numerous glances darted his way. A few steps later, he turned around once again and continued walking, people -obviously- looking at him weirdly.

     What about the times you just stopped?

     He walked a bit more, crossed a street, passed by a few shops and then abruptly stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. He didn't take a waiting position, he didn't look left and right as if he was expecting someone, he just stood there like a plank, eyes fixed on the passing people that started avoiding him like the plague.

     Once again, he got that feeling that his body would impulsively move anytime now, just because of the herd instinct. Intriguing.

     He continued on his merry way, hands in pockets and legs dangling as he contemplated life and everything it stood for, his mother's need of honey long since forgotten. He eventually passed by a bus station just as the bus stopped and instinctively went into it, wondering what was its destination. Voerman was the kind of guy that despite being always thoughtful, didn't really give much thought to his actions.