Chapter 14: No More Lies

"The truth is I was hoping you'd tell me two things. Firstly, if you're really Zombies, then how come you never had the urge to eat my brain at all"? I asked. Mum sighed, and Dad's face said it all. "I think we should tell him the truth" Dad said at long last. Mum looked back at me and said "The reason we've not had the urge to eat that brain of yours is because you're our son. If we did that, then we'd be bad parents". I looked up, and had a lightbulb moment "That explains why I saw you guys had brains for breakfast and dinner each morning; so you'd be able to suppress the urge to...you know". My shoulders were slumped, and I looked back at mum. "In a nutshell, yes" Dad sighed, "We know". It was weird hearing that. Confusing, and a bit scary, but mostly weird. 

"OK. Now that's out there, there's one other thing I want to know". My parents just looked at me concerned. My room was still like a warzone, but my mind was blown big time. "What's your question, Trevor"? Dad asked me. This was going to be really risky, but "How did you guys become Zombies in the first place"? My mum walked out of my room and I followed her. I had no idea what was going to happen, but whatever it was, I probably wouldn't like it. I remember reading once that you should trust your survival instincts and to also 'Exercise caution'. I'm guessing that means I need to stay on my toes, and be cautious about my surroundings. I walked with mum for quite some time, until we all reached an area that I didn't notice or see since...ever; a Graveyard. 

Little did I know that this would be a huge piece of the puzzle for me. Would I finally have that shadowed mystery unveiled for me? I didn't know, but I was sure to find out. Walking into the graveyard entrance, I felt a chill go up my spine. Let's face it; a graveyard is terrifying, but even with your parents, it can still scare you. Despite all the stuff that's happened these last couple of days, I wasn't feeling overly scared. A bit nervous for sure, but not extremely scared. Mum & Dad kept on walking, and I kept on following. We stopped about 5 minutes later underneath a skeleton tree. And I don't mean 'Skeleton' as in the tree had no leaves, I mean 'Skeleton' as in that's what I saw on the branches. Hung by a set of crudely made hangman's noose, I saw at least 2 skeletons per branch, and each one was holding hands. 

Mum & Dad sat on a bench underneath that tree, and I sat on the ground, ready to hear their tale of how they became zombies. Dad started to tell the story, and I sat there intently listening...