Chapter 30- Shut it down

"Coaches, please bring your captain and co captains for the coin toss." The ump called.

I let out a shaky breath. "Anna, let's go." Rose called, grabbing onto my wrists and dragging me to home plate.

"Hello everyone," the ump started but I didn't listen. I pushed Josh to the back of my mind and looked at our competition up and down.

One was shorter, with blonde hair. She was wearing it in a French braid, a ball cap clad on her head. I frowned, I could never pull off the ball cap. I shook my head and took in their uniforms. Nothing special, just red, black, and white.

I turned my attention to the next girl, she was the polar opposite of the first. She was huge, she towered over Rachel, maybe even my coach. The cut off jerseys made her arm muscles seem bigger then they probably already were. No doubt a homerun hitter, most likely a catcher, if not third base or maybe even first.

"Okay, lets play a nice, friendly game. Here's the coin toss." I heard the ump say and I turned my attention to him.

He pulled out a coin then, and I could feel Rose's eyes on me, as the bigger girls eyes were on me too. I didn't take my eye off the silver circle in his hand though, as he put it in the position to flick it in the air.

With one flick of the finger, the coin was flying. Without thought, I called out my choice. "Tails."

It dropped on the floor, I could feel Rose grip my arm, even though two fingers were crossed, Rose's weird thing she does for luck.

We all tilted our heads over the coin and to my luck, we all saw the back side of the coin.

"Congratulations Grey Leaf, which would you like? Hitting or fielding?" The ump asked, looking at me. "Fielding." I answered, smiling as I shook his hand.

Right as I was about to walk back to my dugout, I turned to see the bigger girl staring right at me. Her jaw was clenched, and her eyes narrowed.

This will be one heck of a game.

~

"Guys! The scout is here!" Grace screeched smacking all of our arms.

It was the top of the second inning, and no one has scored. Turns out, blondie from the coin toss is the pitcher, and the big one is the catcher. No surprise there.

I turned to where Grace was pointing, and sure enough there he was. Wearing a UGA hat and shirt, and carrying a clipboard, he looked very official. I smiled when I saw my parents take notice of him and introduce themselves, along with my best friends parents.

We all noticed my mom pick her arm up to point at us so we all whipped around, acting as if we weren't spying. I picked up my batting gloves and shoved them onto my hands, I was in the hole.

"Lets go Jessica!" Rachel cheered and everyone clapped and cheered her on too. As If on queue, Jessica swung hard and knocked it into left field. Because she's not that fast of a runner though, she only made it to first.

I slid my helmet on my head and took my bat off the rack, going to the on deck circle. While I took a few practice swings, I looked out into the stands. My mom and dad were already looking at me, smiling and waving. I waved back and kept looking. Jason, as usual, was on his phone. I noticed the scout only sitting one seat behind them and felt my hands buzz with excitement. It didn't last long though.

Sitting there, with the rest of the guys was Josh. His face was hard, and he looked angry. The guys kept trying to tell him something, clapping him on the back. I could suddenly hear Shane yell "Calm down dude! You have to let her think!"