Chapter 18- Some dummy in the rain

"Everybody get in here! Huddle!" Coach screamed waving us in. We all trotted over to the pitchers mound and got in a circle.

"You all know that we need to win this game. We're tied 8 to 8 and we need to pick it up." He said pinching the bridge of his nose thinking. We all simultaneously looked up at the dark sky above us. "Hey!" He called, snapping us out of our gaze. "Don't look at the sky, focus on the game, if it rains then it rains."

I stood there scanning over the other girls faces. Rose looked a little scared as she looked over her shoulder to the extremely large girl on the on deck circle. I nudged her shoulder and whispered "Hey, no worries. You and me." She gave me a small smile and I tuned back in to the conversation.

"Anna," coach addressed me "We have a runner on first and she's quick, you know what you have to do?" I looked over at her to see her smirking at me. "Time to make a throw down." I replied smiling.

He smiled and put his hand in the middle "Go get em' ladies!" We put our hands in and then disbursed.

I turned to around to get behind the plate. When I was set I saw the field being filled with grey and blue. I looked to Rose as the really large girl got in the box. I winked at Rose and gave her the number four.

Drop ball.

She nodded and I looked to the girl on first. She winked at me. "Time for her to go back to her dugout." I thought.

I set my glove down lower as Rose began her wind up. Right as she released, the girl started towards second. I got down on my knees and right when I felt the ball go in my glove I fired the ball to second.

It all happens in slow motion to me. I see everything slow down. The girl is slowly making her way to the bag, Grace is at the bag waiting for the ball to get to her, Rachel is behind Grace for backup, and last I see the ball slowly make its way towards Grace.

It went exactly where it needed to. You could hear the loud smack as the ball connected with her glove. Grace moved around and set herself between the runner and the bag. The girl slid straight into her glove.

Everything went right back to its normal speed right when I hear the ump screech,

"OUT!"

I laughed and watched the girl go back to her dugout with a scowl on her face.

Right then a huge lightning bolt went off, practically blinding all of us. A bunch of squeals went around as the rain then poured from the sky. The ump immediately called the game and we all sprinted to the safety of the dugout.

"I say we stay until it clears up a little bit." Grace said we made our way into the small shelter.

I snorted, "I'm not staying for this crap. Netflix is waiting for me when I get home." My best friends all rolled their eyes at me as I pulled my bat bag over my shoulder.

I exited the dugout and was quickly soaked. I sighed as I made my way up to the sidewalk. I pulled my keys out of my bag as I began to walk towards it.

With the pouring rain I could barely see anything more then 20 feet away. So when I walked up to my car I was extremely surprised to see Josh standing there.

I stopped in my tracks, gaping at him.

What the heck is this idiot doing in the pouring rain? I scanned over his body, taking him in. He was wearing khaki shorts that seemed to be weighing down due to the rain. His dark blue shirt clung to all of his amazing muscles. His usually tousled hair clung to his forehead.

When I was done not so secretly checking him out, I spoke. "Josh, What the heck are you doing out here!?" I yelled over the pounding rain. He stayed silent so I began to try to walk around him to my car. He simply grabbed my arms and held me in front of him.

"Josh let go, you can be retarded and stand out here all day but I'm going to go home." I said irritation heavy in my voice.

He stayed quiet.

"Hey ding dong!" I screeched as I thumped his head. He looked down at me and raised an eyebrow. "Yeah you! Do you mind letting go of me and letting me get to my dang car?! I mean, especially if your not even going to give me an explanation of being out here!" I yelled waving my hands around.

He stayed quiet with a smirk on his face. I let out a huff of frustration as I moved the stray hairs out of my face.

I felt his hands wrap around my waist and pull me into his chest. I then realized just how cold I was out here. I surprised myself and him by snuggling into him.

I felt his chest rumble for a while as he chuckled. I pulled away, "Josh what the heck are you doing out here?"

I looked into his eyes and he sighed. "I'm out here so I could finally do this." He smiled and moved in.

Isn't it weird? Your whole life you have everything planned out to perfection, but one thing could change everything. One person could change all my plans, perspective, everything. The boy that had me in his arms right now, had changed me. I mean for goodness sakes, I'm about to let him kiss me.

"Screw it." I whispered and grabbed both sides of his face and closed the distance.

As cliché as it sounds, fireworks totally went off as our lips came together. There was a buzz of excitement that went through me as he pulled me closer. It wasn't one of those kissed were you eat each others faces, it was a longer kiss that was full of feelings.

I pulled away and bit my lip. I looked up at him to see him smiling. His face moved down to my ear and he whispered, "You have no idea how long I have been waiting to do that."

I smiled and nuzzled my face in his chest.

What a coincidence that was, having your first kiss in the rain. I laughed, I'm probably going to get a cold. It probably looked weird to my best friends, that I didn't notice was there, standing across the lot. My eyes went wide as the realization hit. They just watched me have my first kiss in the rain.

"ITS ABOUT TIME!" They all screamed. Josh chuckled and I blushed.

They were right. It was about time I let Josh in.

Thank goodness I did.

Chapter status - Unedited