Chapter 11- We throw hay in the air sometimes

"I don't even know why I care so much. We didn't even date!" I exclaimed furrowing my brows.

"Yeah! So I'm sure he'll leave you alone and we can go to the World Series with no worries! It's always been the plan and why should you change it over him?" Rose said handing me the ice cream.

"Exactly. The only problem is I can't get it off my mind." I said sighing.

Rose looked at me with a wide grin and said "Well I know how to fix that."

I dropped my spoon and we both said at the same time "Softball."

~~~

"Bring it down a little." I said throwing the ball back.

All of my friends and I have a thing when were stressed, unset, worried, or anything we practice. Right now Rose was pitching to me while we waited for Grace and Rachel to come over.

I gave Rose the signal for a screw ball and she nodded.

She started the pitch and it was perfect. It went straight into my glove and I smiled. "That's exactly what needs to happen." She laughed and nodded.

I heard footsteps and my head snapped to the right. Rose obviously heard it too because she did the same.

"Yo yo yo ladies!!" Grace and Rachel screamed at the same time. Rose and I giggled in return and I stood up.

"Warm me up?" Grace asked me and I nodded.

We were all throwing back and forth in silence, The only noise heard was the smack as the ball hit our gloves.

Rachel finally broke the silence. "Have you guys gotten any collage scholarship letters?" She said in almost a whisper with a solid face.

"Actually yes." I said as after a few moments of silence. Everyone's heads snapped to me. "Anyone else?" I asked.

All of my best friends nodded. "Who asked yall? Grace asked.

"Florida asked me." Rose said. Rachel, Grace and I all said in unison "Me too." But all of our faces were curled in disgust.

See, we all hate Florida. We all have the dream to go to the University of Georgia, the enemy of Florida. So of course were going to say no to Florida. But so far, Georgia hasn't made notice to us. Our backup collage is Oklahoma though.

I was so caught up in my thoughts I didn't even notice Grace threw the ball to me. It was a high ball so it went over the fence that connected to the pasture behind Rose's house.

We all groaned as we saw it  go over. "Your such a ding dong Grace." I said blankly.

"Your moms a ding dong!" She screeched trying to defend herself.

We all sighed at the stupidity of Grace and began walking towards the bob wire fence.

We all stopped five feet from it and Rachel asked "Well, who wants to go first?"

~~~

"See this time, it's not my fault we ended up behind bars." Rachel sighed standing up from the lumpy cotton bed in the corner of the cell.

"Again, this isn't my fault. If Anna was actually paying attention, the ball would have been caught." Grace said trying to frame this on me.

"Um, excuse you? This is NOT my fault. Maybe if you threw the ball straight it would have hit me instead of going over the fence!" I yelled waving my hands around.

Grace stayed silent for a second before he face lit up. "Well, we wouldn't have gotten in trouble if we just went in and out, But no! Rose decided it was a great idea to jump on some old mans hay bails." She countered with a smirk on her face.