The Horrors Of The Future

"Liam wait!" I call and run after him. He halts but doesn't turn.

"By the way you talk, I can tell you have lost someone too that night. And I know it hurts. I've lost someone who was my only family too," His eyes shoot up at this. "But I've realised that its not the past that we should focus on. Its the present. If I hadn't lost my grandmother, I would have never wandered in here and never found this pack, my mate and you.
"I have never had a real friend before. And now I have you and Maisie and Xalvador and this pack. I wanted to avenge the death of my grandmother so much before but now my focus is on saving this pack. Because my future doesn't have to be cruel and self-centered. I have realised I can't only live for myself and do something that would provide satisfaction to me. Instead I could save and fight for a hundred other people who are living. And you have taught me that. When I came here, I never thought I would survive. But then you came alone and made me laugh, made me forget everything. And I saw how selfless you are. You actually know what love is, what life is. And I'm sure when you find your mate she will be damned lucky to have found a man who is not at all cruel." I say genuinely and smile at him. I hesistantly hug him and then pat his back.

Liam stares back in a dumb founded way but then quickly recovers and gives me a small smile in return. I don't know why I said what I just said. I just knew I had to. I quitely sneak into the house and into the possessive embrace of Xalvador for the night.

I dress up in a tight floral blouse and a pair of jeans the next morning and leave for the village. Xalvador is busy in his office with his spies who have returned after their search. I really hope meeting that old man would help solve some of my questions.

As I'm walking through the hallways, I hear Tyler sobbing. I quickly go inside his room and see Mariah right beside him, hugging him. They both look up as I kneel by their bed. I pull them both in an embrace and smile when they immediately respond. Over the last few days, I have managed to break the ice between the kids and me. They are more free around me and they don't hesitate as before. I think they might even like me. There is odd sense of something warm that I feel everytime I am with them. Their smiles make me happy and content.

I wipe Tyler's cheeks and then ask him softly, "Why are you crying Ty?". He pushes forward a paper that I didn't notice before. I open it to see a sketch of a beautiful woman. Her hair is long and brown, falling around her chest in soft waves while her face is small and feminine. Her smile is carefree and pretty while her eyes shine with happiness. My heart clenches as I stare at the sketch.

"She is- was my mother." Tyler says with a sob and my eyes water at the innocence and hurt the boy says the sentence with.. I pull him into a hug again and caress Mariah's hair. She is not crying. She instead looks responsible and strong but her eyes show the pain she feels. The amount of hurt and pain that is in her which she never shows for the sake of her little brother. How a kid can be so strong, I would never know.

"She is beautiful." I say and Mariah nods with a pained smile.

"That she was. And so was our father. He was very handsome. They both were very good looking."

"Uh-uh, they are . Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they are not here. They are watching you every minute. And one day you will meet them again. I promise." I explain softly.

"Really?" Tyler asks timidly and I nod. Mariah too seems intrigued. After all, she is a child too.

"Yes. In fact I am sure they are watching you right now and are probably sad."

"Why sad?" Mariah asks with a tone of desperateness.

"Because you guys are sad. No parents want their children to be unhappy or sad. They become sad too. So if you want to make them happy, you should smile. And laugh. And be happy always. Do that for your parents alright? Because they love you so much."