Chapter Twenty Seven

... Madeline ...

We walked in silence as we approached Agrabah. It was intimidating; a flourishing, powerful kingdom that was secluded from the rest of this strange world.

We were soon at the black, metal gate. Two guards stood watch on the ground, but I was sure there were most likely guards hiding over the top of the sand wall, readying their arrows in case we were intruders.

Aladdin walked up to the first guard and smiled brightly. "I have brought a lost friend from the desert," he cleared his throat, "She is in need of a place to stay the night."

The guard raised an eyebrow, skeptical of his purposes.

The other guard nudged him and nodded. I could just barely hear him whisper reassuringly, "It's Aladdin."

The gate then opened before us, and we stepped inside. I looked in awe at the wonderful colors of food and bowls all around me. This must've been the market.

But to my surprise, no children were running around, filling the air with joyful laughter. The only people in the market had sullen, drooping faces, as they reached hungrily toward the fresh food.

"Keep close," Aladdin whispered, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I nodded, and watched as a horrible scene played out right in front of us.

An old, poor woman, stricken with helplessness, her eyes wet with tears, slowly reached for a pear. A guard ran up to her and, without second thought, slapped the woman. No one around her reacted as she fell to the ground, covering her cloak in sand and dirt.

I gasped, running to her side, trying to help her up to her feet. I suddenly felt a sting on my cheek, and stopped my actions, the woman starting to stand up by herself, leaving me on my knees, looking up sternly at a guard who had a whip in his hands.

I pressed my fingers to my cheek, a sharp sting clinging to my touch. I looked down at the red stripe across my fingers. Then, silently, I looked up into the pale green, snake-like eyes of a man. He raised his whip above his head, but Aladdin yelled, "Wait!"

To my surprise, the simple word stopped the man that was ready to whip me to death, judging by the look in his eyes.

Aladdin stepped between me and Snake, holding his hands up.

"Who are you to defy me?" Snake spat.

Aladdin smirked, "No one important."

Snake seemed a bit confused at his response, but he lowered the whip to his side and sneered, snapping it on the ground next to his boots.

"If I see you one more time, street rat, you'll be very sorry." Snake turned swiftly, the sand flying into the air.

I coughed once or twice, and Aladdin turned to me, not even slightly intimidated. He whispered to me, "Well I don't buy that."

This seemed oddly amusing to me. He wasn't even afraid of the Snake's whip and threatening glare. Neither was I, but I was only shocked into my courage. I could only process two feelings when I looked into his eyes - a slight, hidden curiosity, and hatred.

Aladdin held his hand out to me, helping me stand. "I'm sorry about him," he said in a hushed tone, "and that blasted whip." He sighed, "I wish I could just rip it from his cold hands and snap it into small pieces."

I was agreeing with him in my head, but something told me that I shouldn't be found nodding along with him if I don't want to be slashed again by the Snake's old weapon. Pain echoed on my cheek. I could still feel the way it snapped on my warm skin, just barely missing my eye. I could feel that it had been used before. It felt too crisp, dried blood collecting on it from other victims.