Chapter Twenty-three- The Slow Descent

Hey everyone!! Cliff-hanger ahead, and, what I hope, is an amazing chapter that will leave you begging for the next:) Remeber to vote/comment/fan and let me know your honest opinion!! Thanks you guys! <3 

 Twenty-three 

  Damian had to restrain me for what seemed like forever-- even though it had only been a few short minutes. I gave up on fighting when I realized my strength couldn’t compare to a werewolves, so I just collapsed in the middle of the clearing, dropping to my knees and crying. Everyone ignored me. The pack. Damian. Even Sydney. She tried asking the pack about Matthew, but none of them would say a thing. 

  I was playing back a thousand memories of me and Jack, almost positive I would never see him again, when I felt a pair of arms constrict from behind me. I gasped, frightened, and turned around to find Damian. I panted, my heart still beating fast, as I laid my head on his chest, tears running down my cheeks. He rubbed my back soothingly, and I looked up to find his expression grim.

   “What’s wrong?” I whispered, choking on my words. 

   “I should get you and Sydney out of here.” he said in a mono-toned  voice. 

   “What do you mean?” 

   “I mean, I don’t want Max to get a hold of you.” 

  I thought about this for a second, feeling defeat weigh heavy on my heart as I felt I might lose the content of my stomach-- and that’s saying a lot considering I was pretty close to starving. 

   “So, that’s it then?” I asked desperately. “There’s no chance at all that Jack is winning out there?” 

   “Kaylee, there’s no point in lying to you. Alphas are smarter, more experienced, and a hell of a lot better fighters than just your average pack member. I know this because, I’m Alpha of my pack. I know I could take any of my brothers-- not that I’ve ever tried, of course, nor do I intend to. I’m just trying to give it to you straight, Kaylee... I don’t want you getting your hopes up too high.” there was sympathy covering his voice that anyone could’ve detected. I nodded, swallowing. My throat felt sticky, and tears pricked at my eyes. 

   “What about the pack?” I asked. “Won’t they try to stop us?” 

   “I’ll figure something out.” he whispered. “I promise, I won’t leave you to Max and the pack.” 

  I wrapped my arms around his torso again. Though I just met Damian, I felt extremely safe in his presence. Maybe because he was planning on taking risks to protect me and Syd. 

   “Thank you.” I whispered, letting the tears start up once again. I loved Jack. And I lost him. 

   It was almost impossible to believe that, when we first became friends in middle school, my one and only dream was for him to love me... it had come true, but of course now everything had to be taken from me. 

  I didn’t even care if he loved me or not. I didn’t care if he hated me... I would take that. If he could live, I would take anything. Any kind of torture, any torment. 

  I would give everything for him.

   I broke away from Damian and tried once again to run towards the forest where Jack must’ve been suffering-- but Damian was faster. He caught my arm and pulled me back. I dropped to the ground again, pulling at my hair, wanting to kill something. No, not something. Someone. I wanted to kill Max. And that’s what I was going to do. Swearing to myself, I promised that I would avenge Jacks death. 

  I would kill Max. 

  I didn’t know how, or when, but I would kill him. And I could sure as hell promise that it would be painful. I would make him pay.