Chapter Twenty-Two- The Tribulation

Hey!!!!! Comemnt/vote:) Thanks

   Twenty-Two 

 The utter astonishment... shock... the horrific drop of my stomach that I felt at that moment was almost unbearable. 

   I forced myself to swallow the acid back that lurched in my stomach, and slowly, it felt like it was in slow motion, I forced myself to turn around, the heels of my shoes digging into the rough dirt. 

  There they were. 

  Poised. 

  Ready for a battle. A bloodbath. And this time there was no getting around them. This time, we’d have to face them. 

  The plan all along had been to stow Sydney and I away safely somewhere, to avoid the battle, but here we were, in the middle of it. 

  No running away now. 

  I couldn’t look away. I couldn’t stop making eye contact with Max, who was grinning in an evil way, his eyes squinting up into a disgusting smirk.

  I also couldn’t help but notice that Matthew wasn’t with them. 

   Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sydney and Jack staring too, with horrific expressions. I guessed that was sort of what I looked like as well. Terrified. And in a way, defeated.

  I sidestepped slowly toward Sydney, barely clasping her hand in mine. She squeezed my fingers tightly and I could tell by her erratic breathing and sweating palms that she knew we weren’t getting out of this thing alive. 

  Max started slinking forward nonchalantly, the evil smirk remaining on his face. He was still pretty far away, but I almost wished he’d walk faster, just so we could get this whole death thing over with. I heard, over the constant ringing in my ears, Jack whispering something urgent and low to Damian, then I heard Damian gasp. 

   “That’s horrible,” I heard him exclaim in a low voice. I just saw Jack nod grimly. 

  Max and the pack were now closing in on us, only a few short feet away... it would only take one leap from them to end it all... 

  Jacks voice broke the silence, startling me and causing me to jump. 

   “Now, Max,” he said in a cautious, negotiating voice. He took two small steps towards the pack, his palms up in a way that suggested he didn’t want a fight. 

   “Yes, Jack?” Max asked in a pleasant voice. 

   “I know that what I did goes against what the entire tribe believes and you have every right to rebuke me, but--” 

   “Well, I’m glad you think so! Because I do. You are a disgrace to the Hokan tribe, Jack. And I can’t just let you off with a warning. That would be way too merciful, especially after you ran.” 

   “I understand completely, but--” 

   “Jack, you chose two merely mortal girls over your pack brothers.” 

 I could almost hear Jack gritting his teeth. “That’s because I won’t stand for injustice, Max. You’re abusing your power.” 

  Max took three steps closer, so he was now chest to chest with Jack. 

   “I’m your leader, Jack, and you will respect me.” he spat. 

   “No one will ever rule over me.” Jack whispered fiercely. I saw the pack all exchange shocked glances. Had anyone ever talked back to the pack leader before?