Chapter Twenty-One- Unexpected Visit

Hey, everyone! Promise me one thing-- read this whole chapter, cuz I think (Hope) You'll gasp at the end!! ;p KAY?! Please comment, vote, fan, blah blah blah, you know the drill!!!!!!!! :D Anyhoo, thanks!! ENJOY!!

  Twenty-One 

   “Now entering North Carolina.” Jack read aloud as we crossed the state border, passing the friendly greeting sign which informed us we were in North Carolina-- Finally. 

   “Thank God!” I sighed in relief, pulling my feet down from the dashboard and taking a swig of the unopened water bottle we had found in the back-- sadly all the food had been eaten at the bonfire. 

   The previous days of my life... hadn’t even seemed like days. I would say they were more like lifetimes. That’s how long it felt, at least. What was it, four, five, six days since we had started running on this awful, terrifying journey? It felt way longer than that. And we were just so close... 

   But I wouldn’t allow myself to get my hopes up too high. I just wouldn’t. If this failed, if we didn’t find what we were looking for, if Jacks pack didn’t back down... if there really was a battle and we lost somebody... where would that leave us? 

  It was kind of that, “Light at the end of the tunnel.” feeling, mixed with the, “Oh, my God, how long is this freaking tunnel?” feeling. 

   I missed Colby... 

   I missed my home... 

   I think I even missed school. 

   “Where from here?” Sydney asked, interrupting my thoughts. Jack reached over for the glove compartment, keeping his grip on the steering wheel with ease, and pulled out a large USA map. He handed it to me. 

   “Find Wilson.” He commanded. I obeyed silently, unfolded the map, and zeroing in on North Carolina. I searched the paper until my eyes fell upon the town Wilson. 

  I started to Panic. It had to be over a hundred miles from the border... it was more-so in the middle of the state! 

   “Jack, we’re running out of ti-” 

   “If you value my sanity, please don’t remind me of the limited amount of time we have, okay?” he snapped. I pressed my lips in a straight line, nodding once.

  He sighed. “I’m sorry.” 

   “S’oaky.” I shrugged, blowing it off. 

   “Listen, it’s just that... I know we don’t have a lot of time...I know that, and it’s driving me crazy, because I wish we had more of it.”

   “It’s okay.” I insisted. 

   “Look, I love you, you know that, right?” 

   “Yes,” 

   “So, can we just work together? Can we just hold together this partnership for hopefully only a few more hours?” 

   “Yes,” 

   “Okay, good. Now, I know it’s a little farther than you expected... Do you mind if I do something a little insane?” 

   “Oh, insane would be just a huge change in pace.” Sydney butt in sarcastically. He grinned ignoring her. 

   “Hold on.” he slammed on the pedal, forcing it to the car floor, and the van jolted forward, causing me to almost hit my head on the dashboard. I grabbed onto the door handle, using it to keep me steady, as the needle on the pedometer edged towards one hundred.