16. I-I-Can't-

Trisha's POV

  It was a Tuesday evening, me and my friends were roaming through our society lanes, giving the invitations of Diwali celebration program which was on the coming Sunday. We were preparing for it from three weeks. It was the personal invitation before the program. There were four lanes including ours. It was very time consuming after only done with one lane. We decided to get divide which will make our work easier and faster. Sushant and Lara, Anand and Shriya, and me. Yes, Ved was not there with us as there was something important work. We went to our respective directions.

  It was a building where I have to go. I took a deep breath and pressed the button of the elevator. The elevator door opened, I cautiously stepped inside and pressed the floor number.

  After some time, like after one and half hour, I was done with the invitations. I went in the elevator and pressed the button for the ground floor. As the elevator was going down, when it came in the middle, a sudden jerk felt and I almost lost my balance. Suddenly the light in the elevator went off. Shit. I pressed the light button again and again. On. Off. On. Off. But no use. I was trapped in the elevator. I pressed the emergency button.

  But what I was going to do till the help come?

  I switched on my phone and touched the flashlight icon. There was a flashlight now. I opened the contacts and quickly called.

  " Hello,"

  " H-Hello?"

  " Sweetheart?"

  " I-I-can't.. please.. help.. choking.. can't breathe.. please come.." I was crying.

  " Hello, Tris? Where are you? Hello, Trisha, tell me damn it, where the hell are you?"

  " Sunshine building.. Elevator.." I managed to tell.

  " I'm coming.. I am on my way.. don't worry.. I am on my way," He cut the call.

   I run my right hand from my mouth, my left hand was tightly clenching into a fist.

  I was Trapped. Hell.

  My legs started trembling. Hands were wetting and I could feel the sweat on my forehead. My throat was completely dry. It was suffocating in there. I couldn't breathe properly.

  No Tris, you aren't going to be panicked. There's nothing to worry. The security will come any time. You'll be rescued. Don't worry. Take a deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

  But it was not working. I still got panicked. My hands were shaking and suddenly my phone slipped from my hand and landed on the floor making a sound. Luckily the flashlight was on. I quickly picked it up and went to the door. Nearly banging it, I was constantly calling for help. I was crying like there was no tomorrow. And I actually felt that there will be no tomorrow. I could actually feel. I was sure. I gulped. There was no escape.

  Please God, please, send someone to the rescue. I am helpless. Please, Oh God, please help me.

  It were hardly ten minutes but I felt like it was an eternity. I was exhausted, physically and mentally both. I was weak to stand and I found myself slumped on the floor. I gathered my feet near my chest. I was scare to death. My head was spinning like a tornado.

  After few minutes, I gathered myself and called again for the help, still sitting on the floor. I held my head between the two legs.

  It was of no use, I knew that. But suddenly I heard sounds of running. I quickly looked up, hope in my eyes. I was unable to stand and run to the door.

   And then, there was light. I blinked my eyes several times and there..

  " Tris, are you alright?"

  He came to me almost running. I couldn't speak. I was so weak, that I just nodded. I was dithering. He sat beside me, taking hand in his. I immediately felt his warmth. A concern was in his eyes. He hugged me and caressed my back, mumbling few soothing words.

  " Come," He said, holding my hand.
I tried to stand up but couldn't and slumped on the floor.

  " Is she alright?" A voice came behind him. And then I noticed the other people of that building.

  " Yeah, Thank you." He said with the gratitude.

  " Do you need any help?" Other voice from the crowd came.

  " Um.. no, thank you. She lives besides my house, I'll take care of her." He said with a small smile and then he looked at me.

  " Ok, take care dear," an old woman said. The crowd separated in two parts.

  And the next thing was, I was in his arms. He was holding me with such ease, like he was holding a light weight pillow.

  We headed towards the exit. He was holding me the whole time while going downstairs.

  We exited the building. He didn't speak the whole time. I was looking at him and he was at me, sometimes. There was concern in his brown eyes. He took a deep breath and was going to say something but didn't.

  We came in front of a bench where the old people tend to sit. There was no one as it was almost dark. He settled me down on the bench carefully and sat beside me.

  There was a long pause. No one spoke. He was still holding my hand with his which was resting on his lap.

  I was no longer dithering. His warmth calmed me down. I was looking in front when I felt his gaze. I turned my head towards him. He was looking at me with concern and so many questions. I sighed.

  " What was that?" He asked with the concern.

  " I-I.. have.. I have claustrophobia." I said, slowly, not looking at him.

  " Claustrophobia!?" He was stunned.

  In response, I just nodded.

  " Since when?" His grip tightened but didn't hurt.

  " I was nine years old.." I answered.

  " How?" He was caressing my hand.

  " I'm sorry but I can't tell you.. or no one even.. It's my past and I don't want to dig up the grave. I don't wanna brood over the past. Please, if you understand.."

  " Yeah, I can.. don't worry." He gave me a soothing smile, placing his right hand on my shoulder. His left hand was still clasping mine.

  " Thanks," I looked up at him with a smile. " Thanks for saving me in there."

  " Call me whenever you want. I'll be there for you." He smiled.

  " By the way, how did you come in there? I thought I called Shriya." I was confused.

  " But you called me. Maybe it was due to hypertension or anxiety that you didn't notice the name. It's ok. I was just entering in my house when you called. I was so worried. I was totally unaware of the situation and you were crying. I ran like a marathon contestant." He said, chuckling.

  I couldn't help but laugh at him.

  " And next time, don't go alone in the elevator or anywhere in the small place. Ok?" He said, like I was some kind of a small child.

  " Yes, Dad." I said in a joke manner, controlling the laugh.

  " Yeah, yeah.. Come, we should go home. It's quite dark. You should rest." He said, standing.

  " You're right, let's go." I put myself on my feet.

   Hey guys, so this is the next chapter. I hope you like it. By the way, what do you think, would be the past of Tris? Will she ever tell it to our Ved? I like him being so worried for her. Does he have feelings for her? Or it's just a friendly concern? Tell me what do you think. And if you like it, please vote. It will take only few seconds. Please.. please.. please.. It means a lot to me. Love you all ;-) TheFlyingIdeas