Chapter Seventeen

Joelle

The park was just as beautiful as I remembered it, maybe even more so. It was almost completely void of people, which might be due to the fact that it was currently ten pm. I sat on a bench, glancing up periodically to see if Zayn had arrived yet. I knew it would be a few more minutes, since I had just hung up the phone with him. He sounded so alarmed when he answered the phone, like he thought something seriously bad had happened to me. You don't really notice how your personality affects other people. If I had been the type of person to call friends or family often, he wouldn't have been surprised when I called him. If I often set up meetings with my friends, he probably wouldn't have been in such a hurry to meet me now. Little things I did - or didn't - do all affected the way others reacted. 

The cold air nipped at my fingers and I shoved them into the pockets of Zayn's jacket, the one I hadn't given back just yet. It was kind of nice to have that piece of him, the reminder that he belonged to me even if it was only for a short time. A distinct giggling sound made me look up towards the entrance for the tenth time. A girl was holding tightly onto the guy's arm, he was smiling like he had just won the lottery while she was laughing in a very girly fashion. They were a stereotypical couple, one that makes you roll your eyes in disgust. They were both so stinking happy, and in the back of my mind I was thinking of all the things that could go wrong in their relationship. He could cheat, she could cheat, he could die, she could get pregnant, they might just not be able to deal with each other anymore. 

"Jo!" My name was called out and tore my eyes off the couple and hopped off the bench to meet him halfway. Immediately he took my hand in his. It wasn't even a surprise to me, it was like that was the way we conveyed our feelings. If we were with a foot of each other, we were holding hands. I looked into his eyes.

That's when the thought hit me: everything that could happen to that couple, could happen to us.

"You okay?" He questioned as I glanced back towards the boy and girl walking away from us. I shook the thoughts out of my head and turned to give a forced smile at him.

"Yeah, I'm good." I said.

"Shall we walk?" Zayn nudged his head toward the path and I nodded in agreement. Without another word being spoken, we walked for at least ten minutes. My mind was so overwhelmed with different thoughts that instead I focused on the flowers that lined the pathway. 

The colors blended together like a painting, the reds, greens and blues swirling together to create their own masterpiece. It was like a scene out of Mary Poppins, the lights making the path much brighter despite the pitch-black sky above our heads. 

"What are you thinking about?" He broke the silence.

"Mary Poppins," I replied immediately in a very serious tone. It was, after all, what I was thinking about.

He gave out an adorable chuckle, as if he thought I was making it up so I didn't have to speak my mind. "Alright, don't tell me."

"I am!"

"Don't lie," he smirked.