Chapter Fifteen

Joelle

"Wait, so there's a guy?" Blake's tone of complete disbelief was almost amusing, but his facial features were even better. It was like he had been told that Starbucks now delivered. Eyebrows were raised, eyes were wide, mouth pursed. "Explain right now, Jo, or I'm calling mom and dad." 

We had met up for dinner at a small diner to catch up on everything that had happened since our last family get together. We also hadn't had a lot of one-on-one time, since we had always been surrounded by either our sisters or our parents. It was nice to sit and talk, not worrying about who else could hear. 

I loved my parents more than anything, along with my sisters, but Blake and I had a connection that couldn't be explained by the best scientists - we understood each other without anything needing to be said. Kind of amusing, since we weren't even blood related siblings. 

"We're not in grade one anymore, Blake." I rolled my eyes, though it was hard to hide my smile. "Don't overreact, okay? He's a good guy and doesn't need the third degree."

"He has to be an amazing guy if you gave him the time of day. What's his name? Do I know him?" 

"I was going to ask him to join us for dinner, but only if it was okay with you. Then you can meet him." I shrugged, being a bit obvious in not giving the answers that Blake asked. 

It was a last minute thing, and usually I wouldn't have told Blake at all. I knew that I could trust him with my life, but I was always a bit wary to tell him about any type of relationship because he got protective - fast. 

Zayn and I would have stayed a secret to my family, if I hadn't realized that the likeliness that eventually the media would catch drift of me was high. Luck had been the only thing keeping the world from knowing about us. The last thing I needed was Blake calling me up, upset that he hadn't been the first to know that I was now 'buddies' with Zayn Malik. 

So I called up Zayn, informed him that my very strong, very protective brother needed to meet him. Then I met up with Blake for dinner, deciding that today was as good as any. Sooner it happened, sooner it was over with.

"So what you mean by 'going to ask him', is that you already asked him and that he's on his way. Am I correct?" Blake smirked, and I cursed the fact that he could see right through me. 

"Basically."

"Do I at least get to know his name?" 

"I was hoping you would forget about that small piece of information," I pouted. Blake was one of the only people I could freely express myself with.

"Looks like you won't have to tell me. I have this strange feeling that his name is Zayn Malik and I do know him. At least I know of him." Blake said in a tone that made me turn around quickly towards the entrance of the diner. Sure enough, in a leather jacket and looking completely out of place, Zayn had just noticed and started speeding toward us.