Chapter Four

Zayn

Waking up early was not on my list of 'exciting things in life', but unfortunately it was a requirement of the job. The whole ride to the radio station for our first interview of the day was spent dozing and listening to Niall complain. It had started off with him uttering under his breath on how 'un-fun' it was to get woken up at six am and then it broadened to how unfair it was that if you drank a pint before noon it was 'weird'. It was easy to tell that he was homesick, as he often felt the need to compare Mullingar to London. 

Finally, Louis reached his hand from where he was sitting in the middle to the back and slapped Niall blindlessly. "If you don't shut up, I will throw you out of this vehicle."

"Oy!" Niall whined before slumping down with his arms crossed and pouting. I patted his knee in sympathy before letting my head hit the window. Fatigue plagued me and I was starting to think that no matter how much sleep I got every night, I would still be tired. 

"It's ten am, you guys should be awake by now." Paul chided as he pulled the door open. I could hear the faint screams of girls in the background. Had I not been exhausted beyond belief, I'm sure I would have found myself wondering how the heck they always knew where we were. It seemed as though they had special homing devices glued to us so they could keep tabs on us all the time. 

"We had to be at Modest! at seven am, then got to listen to everyone argue for two hours straight. We have the right to be tired." Harry spoke for the first time I heard all morning. He had a faint smile across his lips as he climbed out of the van first. 

Immediately after our feet touched the pavement, we started slapping each other on the backs. It might be strange to people watching on, but it had kind of become our tradition in the morning. After the first few mornings where we had to be up early, we learned that having the others pumping us up really wakes us up. Almost like the slap brought us into our 'working' modes. I don't know, I guess the only thing that could really describe it is 'we're teenage males'.

No one in our 'entourage' looked strangely at us, since we had been doing it from the beginning - they knew it was a tradition. Something they could not explain, nor would they try to. Describing any of us from One Direction would be impossible, we were as normal and weird as they come. I'm sure the words 'normal' and 'weird' aren't usually paired together, but for us it just seemed to make sense. Everything we did was weird; there was really no way around it. But when it came to the differences between 'celebrity' and 'normal person', we were probably leaning towards 'normal'. We had money from work, and we didn't pretend we didn't, but we didn't let that really change who we are. Plus if someone got a big head, the rest of us would bully him into regretting it.

"Get inside. Louis, please don't break anything today? That's our goal for the day!" Jenna advised and it made me laugh, because she was our interview coordinator. Don't ask me what that means because I wouldn't be able to tell you. She was usually around when we went anywhere, always trying to keep us from making a fool of ourselves. It didn't really work.

"So it only applies to Louis, right?" Niall asked, a mischievous glint taking place in his eyes. "The rest of us can break stuff?"

Jenna groaned. "It applies to all of you. You break something, I'll have Paul slap you silly. You hear?"