Fluttering Butterflies

Note: Rewritten but not triple checked for spelling and grammatically errors. If you see one feel free to comment.

So many things had happened yesterday that it felt like it had gone on for a lifetime. Like a boulder rolling down a hill, it caught speed, blinded to what it was going to crash into. It felt like I had done just that, crashed. My heart seemed to be bruised in a way that I had never felt before. 

Vera sensed that the moment she laid eyes on me. She had some kind of radar for my emotions. It was comforting. Especially when she did just what I wanted, put me to work. I had spent the morning helping her prepare the meals for the day. Prepping meats and chopping vegetable to a specific standard was harder than it seemed. But I got it done and it ended with me feeling better, refreshed even. 

 I knocked on the big oak door of his office, balancing a sliver tray in one hand. It held all the afternoon necessities for a rich business man, as Vera put it, a tea pot, sugar and a cup. 

"Come in." I could hear the concentration in his voice. It hushed him, barely making it through the door. I wasn't even sure what exactly his business was but it was large enough to take a lot of his time. He'd been locked away since breakfast, not peaking his head out of a single moment. 

Careful not to drop the tray, I slowly entered the room. He had his face in a paper, reading it as if his entire life was invested in its words. For some reason a feeling of disappointment washed over me. Had I really expected him to drop everything he was doing and give me his full undivided attention? No, but I had wished he would say hello at least.

Setting the tray down on the corner of his messy desk, I poured him his fragrant floral tea.

"Sugar?"

My voice seemed to shock him enough for his chair to screech against the ground. He half stood, his body not having enough room to do so,  before sitting right back down. Looking at me wildly, he had to wipe the exhaustion from his eyes before addressing me with a warm smile.

"You're not Vera." He chuckled under his breath while gathering all the scattered papers and making a stack. "I'm sorry, Roza, I didn't know it was you."

"It's okay!" A giddiness fluttered in my stomach. "How many sugars?"

"One please. What are you doing bringing me my tea?" He set his papers down and away with a rushed hand. 

Accepting the china, he looked me straight in the eyes, his hand brushing almost purposefully against my fingers. I gazed back and wondered what exactly was going through his mind. Though he had just been fully immersed in his work, he now looked clear of any and all stress. It had simply evaporated from him like mist. It was peculiar to say the least.

"I am helping her with her duties for today. I have nothing else to do and would like a distraction from my thoughts." My voice sounded strange, strangled, until I cleared my throat. "I know I was complaining yesterday about not having enough time to digest all that's been happening but-"

My words hung in the air, unfinished. I don't really know what else to say. Instead I laughed nervously and tore my eyes away from his steady lock.

"Well, I might as well take a break while you're here. I'm sorry I'm so busy today." He sighed siping his steaming drink.

"No, it's fine! You can't help that you're busy. I can find ways to keep myself entertained." I chuckled taking a look around the grand room.

Behind his giant oak desk he sat in a large black leather chair. And behind his chair was a wall of glass showing a wild forest. It was dense with ancient trees of all kinds. It almost looked tropical, stunningly alive. Along the side walls were bookshelves from floor to ceiling, crammed packed with books, most of which were in a different language. It was a surprisingly simple room compared to the rest of the castle, compared to the acers of beauty just outside his window.

"I like this room." I stated bluntly, walking over to one of the book shelves. Dust blanketed the ancient books, telling me this shelf wasn't used often. Going to the next, I found less dust. On the shelf were many books I couldn't read. The only one I could identify was an english encyclopedia. Beside it was an entire collection of untitled notebooks. It caught my eye. Old and leather bound, I could see the age on them in the form of tears and worn areas nearly dulled down to the inner lining. I almost took one of the notebooks from the shelf but stopped myself, realizing I had no right to go riffling through Dominik's things. For all I knew these could be personal journals.

"Master," Came a cowardly whisper. I turned to see a young woman at the door holding a white envelope. "We just received a letter from Lord Giovanni."

"Ah, Giovanni." Dominik sighed. There was such distaste in his words that he practically spat them. "Bring it here."

"Do you know what it's about?" I asked returning to his desk. I had a feeling I had made things worse between them.

"Most likely apologizing for crossing the line yesterday. He had almost caused a full blown w-" He stopped talking and looked at me strangely as if he had said more than he should have. Recovering quickly he cleared his throat and placed the letter seal down. "Never mind. I don't think you want to hear of such nonsense. Everything is good for the time being, so there's no need to worry."

"Is it because of me?" I asked, not quite sure if I even wanted to know.

"No. It's because of him. I will not let him think my laws are meaningless to him because of his equal status." Dominik hissed, obviously getting worked up all on his own. I didn't quite understand what he meant, but I wasn't about to ask. Not when I could see the rage forming like a clothes pin on his eyebrows. 

Glancing up at me with his gorgeous green eyes, I quickly looked away, unwanted butterfly's fluttering around in my ribcage, zooming right past my heart. "Yes, its about what happened yesterday. Not only was it wrong, but it was a breech of contract. It was an obvious challenge. He was trying to rile me up and cause conflict. Our business relationship was shaky to begin with, going as far back as our great, great grandparents. If I had my way, we would cut ties all together."

He took a moment to breathe, contemplating his thoughts before throwing out another spout of annoyance.

"I will not have him tormenting someone under my care. Not you!" His voice coaxed me into looking back into his eyes. I saw the sincerity in them. " I wanted him to keep you out of his twisted games from start with. I even wrote him a letter beforehand. Apparently he thought there would be no consequences for his actions."

He was so passionate, bordering wrathful, and it was wonderfully endearing. It was far more than just his protection of my wellbeing that caught me swooning over the desk, leaning in like I were weak to his declaration. He held such morals I haven't expected him to possess. Dominik was such a better person that I could have ever asked for. And when he tore his blazing gaze from mine, I felt a little cold.

"Well," He began messing with his papers and scooted his chair back to stand. "I thought I had made myself clear but obviously he hadn't taken me serious."

"Does he take you seriously now?" I took deep breaths trying to calm myself. I had to get this strange sensation under control before he noticed me fawning over him.

"I hope so, or nothing good will come of this."