Chapter 18

I felt emotionless, cold and I didn't know what to believe anymore. Neverland was a place of belief right? But I felt everything but hope and belief.

Attina and Adella helped heaved me onto the land, allowing me to cough and attempt to warm myself up as I violently rubbed my own arms. I remained quiet and the sadistic expression that Adella wore raised my interest...but she didn't say anything: the two mermaids swam off, a red-haired one that I hadn't seen before swimming towards me instead. Half of her face was below the water, her bright and beady eyes staring at mine.

"You're Serena," she said, delving herself up and down, rising only to speak; I nodded, dropping my gaze. I had a cluster of thoughts dancing in my head, like, 'why had Pan traded me?' and retaliation like, 'everything he does has a purpose, remember?' But then it all stopped, my mind becoming blank as it all got too much.

I meant nothing to him. I was right to be doubtful, I was right to stop and realise, but I was too caught up in a dream.

"I'm Ariel," she said and I remembered her name from the previous conversation. Narrowing my eyes, I shuffled back in my spot. "No, no, I'm – we're not here to hurt you."

"Then why have you all tried to kill me twice?"

"That poison was for Pan!" she exclaimed, her youthful expression showing only regret and sorrow, and I could tell she wasn't pulling tricks on me. I couldn't feel the pull I felt last time I got hypnotised by one of her sisters. "Serena, listen, please."

Dropping my gaze, I felt my bottom lip start to quiver. My chest ached, I was shivering and wet.

"I don't know what to believe anymore," I mumbled, wiping my eyes and sniffing. Great, here come the waterworks...

"Oh Serena..." Ariel said softly and in the corner of my eye, I saw her push herself onto the land beside me, her green tail slapping the water. "He's Peter Pan, you never should have trusted him."

"She's right."

Killian? Looking over my shoulder, I saw the pirate emerge from the shadows and take a seat beside me, the three of us on the cave's edge and looking out into the darkened abyss of Neverland's ocean; I didn't say anything at a

"We've tried to look out for you," Ariel said, heaving a sigh.

"At the ball," Killian started but I squinted my eyes shut, shaking my head.

"I don't want to hear it," I snapped, keeping my eyes closed as my lip continued to quiver. No, I'm dreaming. This is all a dream. I'll wake up with the lost boys soon enough. "Serena, I was going to expose his intentions but you were too caught up –"

"In being in love?" I snapped again.

"You're not in love!" Killian yelled and I clenched my jaw, my eyes dropping to the ocean as a single tear fell from my eye. "You're joining my crew."

"What?" I said, not bothering to wipe away tears. "I-I can't."

"If Pan finds out he can't control you anymore, he'll kill you," Ariel said anxiously, her eyes flickering between mine and Killian's. Can't control me? He's never been able to control me. What is she talking about?

"Just...trust me, I can handle him," I said quickly but the mermaid sighed.

"How can you say that when you've been blindly wrapped around his little finger?" Killian groaned, rubbing his forehead. I rolled back my lips, taking a deep breath. There was a part of me urging to be cautious around Pan, but there was a side to me that saw Pan for who he really was – I refused to disagree on that. Getting to my feet, I stared down at them in disgust.