Chapter 7

I leaped forward, seeing Pan stand up in bewilderment on the other side of the fire; the white rose fell to the ground, being splattered with dirt. Weaving myself through the dancing children, my wild eyes scanned for the boy again, a weird sense pulsing through my veins.

This adrenaline filled me, pushing me to go faster and quicker with every move, with every breath that I took.

And then I found the boy, taking his shoulders in my grasp.

Just as shocked as me, his beady eyes stared back at me and the other children had paused to witness what was going on.

"You," I said softly, my hands now moving and taking hold of his face. I couldn't control any of it – something...was pulling me to this child. And as I looked into their eyes, I sensed familiarity. Pan's son.

"It's connected to you," I said again and just as the words escaped my lips, Felix grabbed me from behind and pulled me away from the child. I heard Pan anxiously repeat, "everything's fine, nothing to see here!" as Felix dragged me away from the campfire. I let him, my eyes glazed and staring at the child as I got further and further away.

When we were covered by the trees and enclosed my darkness, Pan joined us, yelling, "what the hell was that?"

"It's –"

Pan grabbed my shoulders, a wildness in his eyes. "What was –?"

"HIM!" I yelled back in his face, not bothering to pull away from his grasp. "I don't know whether it's him or...I DON'T KNOW!"

"WHAT DON'T YOU KNOW?"

"The heart of the truest believer is connected to your SON!" I screamed, finally stepping back and pulling away, his hands falling lifelessly to his side. "I...I could tell. I felt it."

Pan gulped, his eyes lost and unable to be read as he looked at anything but me.

But then my hand started to shake, my right hand.

"What the –?" Felix said from behind and I looked down, watching it shiver and twitch.

"Draw...a drawing – give me parchment, now!"

Without any hesitation, Pan whipped out...

It was the paper that I had found in my chest, but it was no longer ripped at all.

He placed it down on the ground and gave me an inked feather. As soon as my hand took hold of it, I closed my eyes and began to draw. I didn't know what or whom I was drawing, but it was quick and out of my control.

When I was finished, I looked down to see a picture of a boy. Not Pan's son – a different boy.

Pan snatched it and examined it, mumbling, "he must be –"

"Your son's future son," I said.

"Or great-grandson," Felix said and I just sighed, gulping down the lump in my throat.

"I...I'm sorry for what I did at the fire," I mumbled and Pan's gaze snapped upwards from the parchment to meet mine, bewildered; I blinked away the tears. "I couldn't control it and out of all places, I led you to your son and –"

I was cut off by arms wrapping around me, an embrace so tight that I closed my eyes, releasing a breath of air in relief. Comfort and, out of all people, from Pan.

Hugging him back, I dug my face into his neck. His smell was something I didn't expect to like but it was sweet and reminded me of Neverland: the oak trees, the ocean and salt, the blooming flowers – he was them all.