Chapter 9

"How many boys were cut?" James asked; Felix shrugged.

James, Felix and I stood outside Pan's tent, who slept inside and hadn't woken in hours.

"Just...try and treat as many as possible," I said, rubbing the base of my neck. My mind was completely clouded. Just as things were becoming semi-normal... Without saying anything, I turned around and walked into Pan's tent, closing the flap behind me. His shirt had been taken off, exposing the herb-treated cut as he laid on his back. His plump lips were together, his forehead beaded with drops of sweat. I walked over to him and pulled a chair over, sitting beside him. Near his pale body was a cloth lying in water, the wooden bowl having intricate engravings that caught my gaze for a while.

Lifting the object into my hands, I examined the scene of dancing lost boys around a fire, plastered into wood. It was beautiful...and was now only being used to hold a dirty cloth.

I placed it back down, squeezing the cloth in my hand and beginning to dab Pan's wounds; he did not awake in pain, nor did his eyelids flicker. He looked as good as dead, but I refused to believe he had passed away.

"One day..." I started, hesitant in wondering whether or not he could hear. But alas, I continued, slowly blotching the wet cloth onto his open skin. "You'll be able to show me more of Neverland. We won't have to worry about all of...this."

Pausing, I let out a deep sigh, pursing my lips as I placed the cloth back into the bowl, my hand damp. I didn't know how long it would be until he awoke – if he even did awaken.

But he was Peter Pan. He couldn't die from an infected boo-boo, right? He was the Devil, living and breathing...brought down by a cut. I found it quite funny, but didn't reveal my sense of humour. I couldn't, not if he truly was dying.

"How's he holding up?"

It was Ethan, smiling reassuringly as he walked up beside me. He placed his hand against my shoulder, squeezing it as our eyes moved to the pale body called Pan. I shrugged, my lips twisting.

"The same," was the best I could come up with and as Ethan pulled up a chair to sit next to me, I continued speaking. "It's odd to see him in this state."

"Vulnerable and on his death bed? Yep," he replied, chuckling. All I did was crack a grin before it faded practically a second later. "Nah, he'll be fine."

"You don't know."

"I do know," he said, my eyes flicking over to meet his. I couldn't read his face, but something told me he was holding back information. "Felix and James will be back soon."

"And what, they're gunna perform voodoo?" I said as a joke, but genuinely wondering why and where Ethan got his confidence from. He winked, saying, "yep".

I knew he was joking and the two of us shared a smile before he patted my knee twice and headed out of the tent, leaving Pan and I alone once again.

+++

Just as Ethan had said, Felix and James returned and when they wanted to shoo me from the room, I sternly held my ground and refused. If they were going to save Pan, I was going to be there, no questions asked.

The three of us stood before Pan, looking down on him as if he had already passed away. Felix held one of Killian's leather flasks and I pondered on where Felix had gotten it from. Did he acquire it as a gift a long time ago? Did Killian drop it in the woods and did Felix find it? Had Killian offered to help Pan? I didn't have time to question because before I knew it, Felix was pouring the liquid into Pan's mouth.