Chapter 2

Pan was the leader of the camp – how could I have been so stupid to not put the puzzle pieces together myself? I felt ashamed in myself for some reason...had I been 'smart' in my past life, whatever that may be? I didn't know and at this rate, I would never know: I could be dead by morning and my death would not only be meaningless for the people around me...but also for myself.

With Felix gone, I looked forward to see a dingy-looking bed and a chest at the end of it. It seemed strange but at the same time, awfully homely: the room wasn't congested with unnecessary things and the simplicity of the tent made it feel like an actual camp. I felt as I was living an adventure I had not yet started, but I couldn't get my hopes up – I could be in that cage tomorrow or I could become a slave - even death could be upon me.

Just as I was about to crawl under the bed's covers, I noticed an empty plaque plastered onto the chest. Why would a chest such as this have no engraving?

Kneeling down, my eyes scanned over the beautifully-carved wooden chest, my fingers gently brushing across the golden plaque. That's when it started to engrave itself and in shock, I fell backwards onto my hands with a yelp, watching as a name was carved magically into the golden metal.

It said:

Serena

My cry had been louder than expected and I heard footsteps heading towards my tent. Whilst still seated on the ground, I looked towards the flap in-time to see Felix enter, standing there and holding the material up. He didn't need to ask what had happened – he simply waited for me to comply.

"T-the plaque engraved itself," I stammered, pulling my gaze away from him and onto the engraving. "It says 'Serena'."

He didn't reply for a while and I could feel my stomach churning with nerves, with worry, and so I looked up only to see he was as confused as I.

"We'll discuss it tomorrow. For now, get some –"

"Could it be my name?"

"I said we'll discuss it tomorrow," he sneered and I gulped, nodding in-defeat. He dropped the flap and walked out again. I knew that if I disturbed the camp one more time, I would be in real strife.

I strolled over and sat against the bed, the mattress being a little tough but it was still preferable than the floor. I sat in silence for a while, staring out into nothing. The forest, the camp, the boys, my gown – it all felt like some sort of dream. I didn't even know what my facial features were and I only knew my hair colour from the Daniel's comment. I wanted to know myself but know where I was, why I was where I was.

But judging from Pan's comment, I didn't think he knew either.

I fell asleep to the sound of a pipe. Again, I had no idea what it was or whom was playing it, but it's haunting melody and nerving rhythm surprisingly managed to put my noisy mind to rest. The sunlight's rays were what awoke me the next morning and I was silently grateful that was the case rather than some random boy.

From the shock and confusion yesterday, I actually didn't open the chest that had engraved itself. Flipping off the covers, in a hurry, I skidded to the end of my bed, in front of the chest and my fingertips traced each letter, one by one.

"S...e...r...e...n...a," I mumbled as I traced, the engraving seeming like it had always been there rather than just randomly appearing the other night. There was no lock: it was more of a buckle and so, I flicked up the golden latch and with a deep breath, looked inside the chest.

And that's when I saw it: a hand-held, gold-embellished mirror placed upon folded clothes. Of course, the clothing passed my interest – it was the mirror that had taken my fascination.