Chapter 17

There are many horrifying silences in the world with the utmost priority going to death. However, the second utmost priority could be given to the situation I was in. Walking between two silent and socially inept people, that was the situation I was currently facing. Sweat dripped from my forehead as I felt the tense atmosphere. It was like a wrong word from me could ignite a firestorm. But the silence was even more unbearable.

"So Al, it's quite odd that we meet at situations like before when I'm always in trouble. Don't you think so?"

"I do not think that is the case. You just seem to attract- trouble" he said while casually glancing at Haytham.

Huh? What does that mean? Does Al know that Haytham's an assassin?

Sweating even more profusely, I gulped and hoped to God that wasn't the case.

"I don't think she attracts trouble" Haytham interjected.

"Even if she did, I will protect her"

"That is quite funny, your way of protecting her from before. You did a marvelous job"

Haytham reddened at this comment- from embarrassment or anger. His fists clenched again.

Oh no, they're going to fight!

"So, uh, Haytham, can we take a break? I'm hungry"

Haytham nodded and pointed over to a tree.

"Wait there, I'll get you something to eat"

Not wasting any more time, I quickly dragged Al away as Haytham left.

"What were you thinking Al? Do you want to start a fight with Haytham?"

Al looked at me, locking his silver eyes with mine. His serious gaze made me stagger back.

"That guy, he is dangerous."

So he does know that Haytham is an assassin!

"W-why do you say so?"

"Something feels wrong about him."

What?

So he doesn't know after all! And to think I was worried over nothing, I'm quite silly. But I can't tell him that Haytham is taking me to meet the Rebel's leader!

"Jane, stay away from him" he said in a constrained voice.

I merely shook my head.

"You got it wrong, Al. Haytham is not dangerous, at least to me. He takes good care of me"

"But you can't trust him because he takes care of you. Why are you being so ignorant?"

"Oh, excuse me for my ignorance! But shouldn't you also take care as to be not so presumptuous? How can you assume that I trust him?"

"Because you trust him enough to let him travel with you, unlike the time I asked you to!"

"Oh, so you're holding a grudge because I didn't want you to accompany me? Who was it who didn't want me to be there in the first place?" I said, raising my voice a little more than necessary.

"You said you let it go! Guess I was wrong. I should have never pitied you or your pathetic situation!"

"I never asked for your pity! I can manage without pity. I have been doing that for the past eight years! I don't need anyone's pity. If that is all, you can leave Alastair."

He looked shocked from those words which I uttered. He even staggered two steps back!

I was too harsh, perhaps?

Just when I was about to apologize he held up his hand, stopping me.

"Say no more. I understand, Miss Summers. I will be leaving now"

Saying so, he turned around and flew up to a treetop and then vanished in the blink of an eye.

Too late to apologize now.

I could only stare dumbly at the treetop as I felt a melancholic symphony of feelings cross through me. What if I never had the chance to apologize? He was only looking out for me, as always; saving me as always. But to think he did that because of pity? I should be angry for that! But why do I feel so sad?

Oh, how much I regret my words now.

Somewhere in the middle of the forest, Haytham crouched behind some thickets as he eyed his prey- a rabbit. Being perfectly still and motionless, he reached into his pouch and took out two shimmering darts. Just when he was about to throw them, the rabbit scurried towards him, as if it was alarmed by movement. But why towards him? A sudden thud brought him back to his senses as he looked at the spot where the rabbit was. Standing there was a tall boy with a lean frame. His jet black hair shined when the sun rays hit it, making him look almost magical. But what was even more magical was his eyes, the colour of palladium. It was Alastair.

"Forgive my intrusion, Haytham."

"That is Mr. Blackwell to you." Haytham said in an icy cold voice, obviously showing his distrust towards the stranger.

"Pardon my impoliteness, Mr. Blackwell. I believe I have not properly introduced myself to you before. I am Alastair Reed and I am the one who will kill you if you harm Miss Summers."

Haytham merely let out a chuckle as he looked at Alastair with contempt and disdain.

"You are a wind conjurer, Mr. Reed. I conjure earth"

Saying so, he lifted his right hand over his head and clenched his fist. The earth trembled as a heavy round boulder which was double the size of him, rose from the ground and hovered over his head. He looked at Alastair only to see his perfectly calm demeanour. To aggravate Haytham more, he even carried a smirk in his lips.

"Your display of power does not mean anything but one- that your death will be by your own conjuring. I believe I can over-power you."

Haytham's lips and his whole being trembled at hearing this insult. He hurled the massive rock towards Alastair which was easily avoided by him with a graceful jump. Before he knew it, there was the intricately detailed sword of Alastair's over his neck.

"The power you conjure does not matter, Mr. Blackwell. It is how you use them. And you are ignorant as well; unwilling to learn. You can never protect Jane! To think that she chose you over me..." he trailed off, trembling a second but immediately regaining composure.

"If she wants to die, to end her miserable life, I will not object any more. No more shall I pity her fate. When she is caught in the Queen's clutches, she will know that the decision she made was wrong. Do not make her regret choosing you to protect her, Mr. Blackwell"

He stepped back and jumped up high, landing on a branch.

"I bid you farewell for now. But if I ever find out that she is harmed and you were incompetent in protecting her, I will end your life."

Then he disappeared into the thick forest, leaving behind a dumbfounded and profusely sweating Haytham. Though he was an assassin, though he had killed few people, he had never felt fear. But Alastair had shown him what fear meant.