Chapter 2

I entered the kitchen only to face Mr. Will. He looked like a bull in the ring, ready to take on a cowboy and fling him into the air.

"Claire tells me you were late by ten minutes. Is that true, Jane?" He asked in a commanding tone, with a smirk on his face.

I gulped. That sly girl! She always bullies me. Maybe it's because of the fact that I'm much more beautiful than her. I can say that I'm the most beautiful maid with pride. Guess I have Mother to thank for that.

"I haven't got all day! Were you late?!" Mr. Will bellowed.

Wow, he could easily pass for a bear! Oh, I shouldn't daydream!

I gave him a slow nod which was more than enough for him to start abusing me verbally.

"A girl like you, were you even a General's daughter?" He asked with disdain written all over his face.

"Perhaps, you was born from an affair, that must be it" he said musing to himself, but loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Don't bring up my parents into this!" I exclaimed with a red face, my resolute decision of standing up for myself being effective immediately.

"I came late by ten minutes- so what?!", I added.

"Don't you dare give me that attitude girl! Do you know who I am?! I should teach you a lesson!"

He pulled me by my hair and dragged me all the way to the entrance of the castle. Many people were staring at me. My face flushed scarlet as I hung my head low. He then pushed me to the ground in front of the gate and gave a kick to my stomach. The pain ringed throughout my body.

"Listen up everyone ! That lowlife Jane is showing her attitude to me!"Mr. Will said as he waved his arms in the air dramatically.

"I am not a lowlife!" I retorted , getting back on my feet and dusting off the dirt from my clothes.

He slapped me hard in the cheek and I fell to the ground again as the sound echoed through a silent crowd of onlookers.

"What is going on here?" a boy's voice sprung up through the crowd.

I raised my head up to see who was brave enough or foolish enough to out-speak Mr. Will.

Wait, I already did that. That was so foolish of me!

After all, he was the head leader of chores around the palace. Perhaps I dug my own grave this time. Well, I wouldn't be dying alone! Raising my head to see that foolish- no, er... brave person, I was shocked beyond words.

That boy was wearing a black cape and had a hood covering his face. The Royal Crest, which was a golden rose, was centred on the cape. A member of the Royal family?

"The Prince ?!", Mr. Will exclaimed and continued,

"What are you doing here, my beloved Prince ? This matter does not require your much useful time and presence. If you would allow me , I will get rid of this unsightly girl from your presence".

That butt-kissing jerk!

I wanted to push him down to the depths of hell so badly ! I wasn't as "unsightly" as he had described me. Being fairly taller than most girls and having that cascade of hair, I was considered a real beauty among the maids!

"Who are you calling unsightly? " I raised my voice and hand to slap him but he caught my hand!

"That nerve of yours! You think you could actually hit me ? You wretch!" he raised his hand to slap me but was interrupted by the prince.

"Stop this madness! I, Prince Allen will not allow you to harm that girl in front of my eyes!"

"But! Your highness!"

"Don't argue with me. I am taking this matter to the queen. Better not get yourself fried. "

No, the Prince didn't mix up fired and fried. He meant what he said. Remember the time when Mrs. White was able to arrive at the castle before me earlier today? That's because, she's gifted. Gifted people in our land, that is, the Royal Family and some of their Generals along with a rare amount of workers in the castle, have a special skill in controlling elements. They are all Mistiques. That's the term to refer to those gifted people. As for me, I can't control any elements. I don't know if my father had the ability to control anything as I was too small to remember. If he did, I would have probably been recruited into the army, seeing how short staffed we are after that War. But he was a General, and the highest ranking one during his time! Perhaps, he did control something. But then, why wasn't I recruited?

I didn't know what Father conjured. But I do know that Mrs. White was able to fly harnessing the power of wind. But according to the other Mistiques, she was in the lower ranks even within the Mystical Hierarchy. Perhaps that's why she was the head cook. The highest rank was given to the King and Queen, obviously. The Queen was able to conjure fire. The King was able to conjure water. Their marriage was an arranged one so that there would be peace with the neighbouring country from where the Queen was from. As for the Prince's power, it was a mystery. These Royal People sure knew how to keep secrets. Not a single person working inside or outside the Palace knew what power the prince possessed. Maybe he was a Gaian!

Gaians are people who had no powers. Earthly people living a boring, non-magical life, that is, me. But to imagine the Prince as a Gaian, it was simply too impossible taking into consideration the amount of power his parents possessed. Anyway, back to what was happening, The prince was leading us into the castle through those confusing hallways.

"Stay here", Prince Allen ordered.

Mr. Will and I stood transfixed to the floor. Minutes ticked away one by one very slowly. After what seemed like an eternity , the doors slowly opened. Two guards ushered us in without a word. I looked over to where the Prince was standing. His head was hung low. What had happened?

"Did this commoner speak out of turn to you, Mr. Will?" the Queen asked, locking her amber eyes with mine. I was in a loss of words. The Queen actually took that butt-kissing jerk's side!

Oh great! I've done it now! Now I'm going to get fried. Is this what's called irony?