Chapter 21

It was incredibly difficult to wake up so early in the morning for me, but somehow, Haytham had managed to do it. But his method of waking someone up is- there is only one word to describe it, ruthless. If anyone was woken up by being intruded into their room through a window and get ice cold water poured upon oneself, they would also say it is ruthless. Nevertheless, after hearing my ear-splitting scream, he scrambled to the door and made a lightning-quick exit, leaving me with my thoughts.

It took an hour to shake off my sleepiness and get a nice long bath and even an hour longer to get ready because I was mending my ripped-to-shreds dress. By the time I came downstairs, both men were pristine, just like always. 

Why should I be the only shabbily dressed up one?

Sighing, I joined the duo and we proceeded to check out, my share of the room being split-up between Alastair and Haytham despite my pleas to pay myself. Somehow, Alastair led us  to the market and insisted that I buy clothes.

"If someone can even say your clothes as clothes, it would be a wonder."

But I did'nt want to let go of these clothes. They were Mrs. White's after all. But Alastair was right. It was irreparable. I decided to make the remaining salvageable pieces of cloth as a hair accessory or something. Determined to make myself presentable and to shut him up, I furiously searched for clothes suiting my needs and the budget. I was so carried away by this process that I failed to notice the regional guard force of Arcanecia was surrounding the place. I only realized this when Alastair suddenly pulled me by the arm and ran with all his might to a dark alleyway. Completely out of breath, I was going to scream the living daylights out of him when he actually shut me up with his hand and stern look. He then pointed out to the guards and then to Haytham. 

Why are they surrounding Haytham?

"Mr. Haytham Blackwell?" a tall, well-built man, obviously being the platoon leader asked.

"And what if I was?"

Seriously, Haytham! Using such an informal tone!

The man cleared his throat as if reinstating his authority and spoke in a formal tone.

"You have been charged with treason for associating with The Rebels"

Haytham merely scoffed and tilted his head.

"And how would you know that I am 'associating' with The Rebels?"

I couldn't hear any more. I rushed forward to say something when Alastair yanked me back.

"Didn't you hear what they were speaking about? He's a Rebel!" He said in a hurried whisper.

"B-but we have to help him!" was my meek response.

"You're going to help him when you can't help yourself? You're wanted too, remember?"

That truth jolted me back to reality. I had completely forgotten about that. Quickly turning to Alastair I asked in the most meek voice,

"Can you help him?"

Alastair looked into my eyes, his stern gaze softening. He shook his head in a calm and gentle way and spoke in a low whisper.

"I am fleeing too, remember?"

This was another fatal blow which showed me how stupid I was. Haytham can't be helped. Suppressing my tears, I watched helplessly along with Al as Haytham was subdued, using forceful magic of water and fire, creating a bewitching spectacle. While he was being dragged away, Haytham's eyes fell upon us, who were hiding like cowards. I couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt overtaking my entire being. His confused ochre eyes darted from Alastair to me and back again.

Was he expecting me to help?

Then, the crowd obscured my view of him, making it the final glimpse I had of him. Wearily I shrunk down to the ground, letting out a deep sigh. His accusing eyes, though I got just a momentary glimpse, haunted me. 

Was I being selfish? He did rescue me, but I didn't repay the favour.

After looking at the dejected me, Alastair ran off to some distant area in the market, using the crowds as his stealth zone. I think he didn't want to look at the pathetic me, or maybe he too was feeling guilty of not being able to help Haytham. However, after a while, he came back and said that he had arranged safe passage for us to leave the country.

"And what? We leave Haytham behind?" was my irritated response.

"Yes, we leave him behind" was his apathetic answer

"That is a betrayal of trust!"

"That is survival!" 

We both looked at each other with anger and disgust.

How could he even propose to do that?

Since none of us broke the stare, Alastair relented by shaking his head. He looked at the sky and let out an exasperated sigh, like he was dealing with a troublesome kid. 

"I guess I have no other way than this, but to leave you be."

"What?"

"I'm letting you go. Do whatever you want, I need to survive"

"So you just abandon everyone?"

"Well what do you want me to do?!" he exclaimed in anger, his palladium eyes narrowed upon me. I staggered a few steps back because of his outburst, which suddenly made him compose himself, momentarily.

"I want to survive, Jane, and I will make sure you will too. Will you trust me with this decision I have taken and join me?"

My hands refused to move from my sides, like they were frozen. If I didn't take his hand now, there will be no hope for me to see a bright sun ever again. But if I do take his hand, I will be leaving behind the person who looked after me all this time. 

Is it survival or betrayal?

My eyes shut tight, my hands shaking, I took his hand.

I'm so sorry Haytham.