Chapter 5

Pitch black darkness. That was all I could see. It seemed to be like a never-ending abyss of doom. There was not even a single ray of light. How was I supposed to clean up this mess without light? Suddenly, the reason for the servant's disappearance dawned on me. There was no way that he can return to the door in this darkness!

Wait! Where was the door?!

It can't be! I was doomed to die inside because I could not find the door?! Panic overtook me as I dropped the bucket and mop and I shouted in my loudest voice,

"Help me! Please save me, I'm lost here!"

I received no reply. Did that Claire and Mrs. White leave me all alone and go? Tears overflowed my eyes as I cried like a baby. Sinking down to the floor, I wiped my eyes. I can't be a crybaby now. I need to find the exit. Using my hands I tried navigating my way to the nearest wall. I was successful after a dozen tumbles and bruises. I never knew that a flat surface of a wall could give me so much relief. As I kept scanning the walls, I noticed a certain green luminosity being displayed on the walls.

Where was the light coming from?

Turning around, I noticed, to my panic, a glowing green ominous mist in the far end of the stable, illuminating the stable with its dull glow. My emerald eyes, almost the same colour as that mist, went wide at the sight. The mist soon formed a shape- a shape of a hand. Panic turned into horror when that hand beckoned me towards it.

Was that an evil spirit?

I decided not to go to that creepy hand. I shook my head and slowly tried backing up against the wall. Suddenly, I was falling down! The wall had disappeared. I landed with a thud on something- something which made a cracking sound. Thanks to the creaks of the ceiling above, the green light was emanating below here as well and I could see a bit.

The misty thing must be above!

When I was trying to get up, something sharp ripped my clothes and cut my leg. Looking down, I saw that I had landed on a skeleton and the sword the skeleton possessed, had cut me. The sight of the skeleton had turned my horror into terror. My voice and reason had left me as I blankly stared at the skeleton. I didn't notice that the green mist had started to drip down the hole and had begun to cover me! I was too late to realize it and I was consumed completely as the green mist slowly enveloped my mouth and nostrils. Those fumes went inside. Gosh they smelled foul! The next thing I knew, I passed out.

When I tried to open my eyes, the blinding light made it shut. I reopened them and I saw- the sun? Was there a sun in heaven too? Odd. I looked around and all I could see was trees.

Where was I?

I looked at my leg. The wound was gone! And so were my other bruises!

Did I dream the whole thing?

No, it was too real. Looking down at my clothes, the place where the sword slashed trough, it was torn! So that meant, it wasn't a dream after all! But where am I? That question was yet to remain answered. First, I should go back home. But how can I go home when I have a really bad sense of direction? And with the current situation of me being in a place I don't even know, it was impossible! I can never reach home now! But it's not like I have a choice. Let me give it a try. After all, how bad could that be?

*3 hours later*

"I just went through this bridge now, did I?" I asked myself, scratching my head.

If anyone saw me right now, they would definitely think that I was attacked by a wild animal. My hair looked like a tornado went through it. My dress became rags. It was partly my fault, I guess. I should have watched where I was going rather than tripping at every single stone!

I seriously need help!

Just when I was deciding whether to knock my head using that tree bark or stone for my idiocy, I saw someone! A human! That was wonderful. I do not have to hit my head with rocks any more. On closer observation, I noticed that the human looked suspicious. He wore a huge black cape with a hood pulled over his head and was walking in the middle of a forest. The oddest thing of all is that, he had no horse. Well, as long as it was a human, anyone would do.

"Hello sir! Please help me" I cried in my most Damsel-In-Distress voice.

The human was startled for a minute as I had suddenly called out to him. He must have not expected to hear a girl's voice, I guess.

"I have no obligations to help you" the mystery man said after shaking off the initial surprise he had received. There was something about his voice- it was deep and familiar. I have definitely heard it before but where? More importantly, what was with that tone of his? That was rude! But I could not survive on my own through the night so he is my only chance. So I had to do this!

"Please, you have to help me. I am lost and I cannot find my way home. Please?" I begged.

Or I'll just use the rocks to hit you!

He slowly turned around but kept his face hidden. All of a sudden, he took two steps back and trembled like he was shocked to the core. I am not that ugly now, am I? With my current condition, he might think I am possessed. Nothing could have prepared me for the words which came out of his mouth next.

"You!You are- Jane Summers !"he said, his voice shaky.

"Yes, I am Jane Summers."

Well at least I'm recognizable. Wait, How did he know my name?

"How did you know my name?" I inquired.

"You! You have been dead for two weeks now!"