Chapter 9

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping. Looking around I found myself in a room, on a bed. The soft mattress gave a tingly feeling to my bare skin. I have never slept on a mattress, much less on something this soft. My left arm was tightly bandaged, while my gown (that is, my rags) had a huge blood stain. Looking in all directions, I saw no living human, but just expensive furniture. This place looked as if it was dissected from the Palace!

"Where am I?" I thought out loud.

"You are safe "a reply came from behind, which almost made me jump out of the bed and through the window. I was still on the edge from that fight. I turned around and saw Al sitting on a chair with his head hung low.

"Why did you do that?" he asked me, while fidgeting with his hands. His voice was so low, almost like a whisper.

"Do what?" I replied, scratching my head full of tangled hair, not knowing why the atmosphere looked so gloomy.

"You, you pushed me out of harm's way but got yourself injured. Why did you do that?" his voice was interlaced with pain.

Oh! That.

"You would have died if I did not do it. Besides, you did say you were fleeing. So your journey would end if you die. I owe you my life from back then when you saved me. I merely made my debt even." I replied with a slight grin. He looked at me, or I thought he did.

That cloak is an expert disguise tool!

He let out a loud sigh, shaking his head. He must be worried.

"Thank you for saving me after I fainted "I said meekly, to break the awkward silence that was building up.

"So, how did you get back here?" he asked, realizing he didn't want the silence lingering around any more than I did. No wonder he thought it would take more days for me to reach there as I was directionally challenged.

"I got help from a gentleman, a Mr. Jones "I replied, smiling. The thought of his warm heart made me smile. Something about him reminded me of Mrs. White. Maybe it's his kindness emanating from him which makes him similar to her.

"So did you decide to stay in Bristol or something?" he asked interrupting my thoughts.

"I could not find a cheap ride back to the Capital "I informed him. Just when I felt like I was going to be slaughtered by questions from Al, there were loud bangs on the door. One gruffly voice said,

"Open up! We are the Bristol Royal Police"

What now? Don't tell me that they're here because I took bread from the bakery without that slave-worker lady's permission?

I looked at Al, fear written all over my face. He looked perplexed.

"How, I covered up my tracks; Impossible!" he mumbled, pacing around like a kid who is going to be punished. The door went flying from its hinges after another loud bang. A huge man stepped inside and looked at Al and me respectively.

"Please remove your hood, sir" he said in a booming voice. It was more like he ordered Al to remove his hood. Curiosity piqued up. I had never seen his face. I wonder what he looked like.

"Make me", Al replied stubbornly, leaning on the table nearby casually.

Seriously, Al? They are the Bristol Royal Police!

The big police man motioned his fingers and many people entered the room. They seized Al and I.

"Let me go! I did not do anything wrong" I yelled at the big man.

He gave me a chill stare and I froze; literally! He had the ability to conjure water and turn it to ice! He must be pretty high in the Mystical Hierarchy, seeing how powerful his conjuring ability is. Pain seared throughout my body at the ice started draining my blood. In a few minutes I might die! At least I was able to breathe for now as the ice had not covered my face, just my mouth and the rest of my body. Al staggered a few steps back as he knew what would happen to me. He also knew escape was futile. Slowly, he raised his hands and grabbed the hood. He then pulled it down very slowly, obviously very hesitant. His jet black hair was revealed and his face was illuminated by the sun.

I was shocked to the core. His eyes were silver in colour! Those eyes met mine and I quickly turned away. There was something about those eyes. I could not explain the feeling but I couldn't make myself look at his eyes. It was like looking into a vast sea of chaotic feelings.

"We have found him" the big police man said, a smile plastered onto his face.

The others then put a black bag above Al's and my head. Everything went black. After a whole lot of time, when the black cloth was finally pulled over my head, I noticed that I was thrown in the dungeon. Two guards went out and slammed the steel doors shut and locked me in my cell.

"Why am I held prisoner here?" I inquired as I believe I had done nothing wrong.

Don't tell me that butt-kissing jerk is the reason for this? Or was it really for 'borrowing' bread from that bakery lady?

My face grew pale, contemplating that possibility.

"You are held captive for high treason. You kidnapped the Prince" he stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

WHAT?!

"That is insane!" I shouted, after all, how could I kidnap a prince? Which prince? Who could even pull this off? Definitely not the butt-kissing jerk!

"Just shut your trap. You will be executed tomorrow in front of Bristol ". One of the guards said as they left.

"No! Do not leave me here! I did not do anything wrong! Come back!!" I screamed, but my pleas fell on deaf ears. I then heard another door close and I knew they were long gone.

"Why me?" I whispered into the dead silence.