Chapter 1

The birds chirped merrily as the sun shone through a high window into a small cottage. The golden beams of the sun hit my eyes, stirring me from my slumber. After tossing and turning for a while, lazily, I got out of my straw bed and walked towards a counter which had a pot full of water. The water had overflown the pot and a small puddle had formed below. Looking up at the roof, I noticed the hole; the hole through which the rain had dripped down and partly flooded the cottage. It took most of the night to clean that mess.

As I peered into the pot, my reflection greeted me- emerald eyes mounted on fair skin with pale lips and brown hair running all the way down to my waist. Signs of dark circles around my eyes were starting to appear. I pulled back my bangs and washed my face. The cold water stung my skin like a bee. I grabbed my uniform from the counter- a red ragged gown with tattered yellow ribbons at it's sleeves and went on with my morning duties. An old clock chimed, startling me.

I grabbed my apron from a makeshift hanger near the door and left my home. Picking up my pace, I raced through the cottages. I've been here ever since I can remember, but I can't help but trip over stones or fall into ditches. Somehow managing to weave through a crowded market without causing a huge scene by my clumsiness, I reached a bridge to the other side- the side of Royalty.

"Good morning Jane!" a stout woman called out to me while I passed through her two-storey Tudor house.

"Good Morning Mrs. White!" I replied back, halting in my tracks.

"Aren't you running a bit late, my dear? You know, Mr. Will is never patient".

"I know, Ma'am. He had a party in the palace till late night yesterday so I'm thinking he would not be up so early".

"Well you better hurry off anyway" she said, concern masking her voice.

"Goodbye Mrs. White!", I said, politely bowing my head and started my run.

I ran as fast as my legs could carry me. Soon the sight of a majestic castle came into view over the mountains.

Another day of work, here I come!

Entering through through the maid's quarters, I started my job, which was, scrubbing the floor. What did you expect? A fairytale? No, This isn't a story about a Princess or Queen. I am, merely, the palace maid. Being 16 years old and an orphan, I cannot afford education as it was too expensive. Both of my parents died during The War which happened when I was little. My father died protecting the country and my mother died protecting me. Those are not very happy memories but they're the last remnants of my parents; or so I'm told. Since my father was a General , the Queen was kind enough to give me a small house and a job. The pay is not too grand but it was enough to make ends meet.

Enough daydreaming!

Suddenly Mrs. White entered the kitchen and she called out to me.

"Serve the Prince his breakfast for me", she said nonchalantly.

"B-but Ma'am, He's a Royal, unfit to be served by a commoner like me"

"You're a General's daughter. You have the qualifications. Just go"

She pushed a tray of delicious food towards me and left the room in a hurry. You may be wondering how she got to the castle much quicker than me but now is not the time to ponder about that. Placing a buttered toast with eggs and a lemon pie with delicious cream on a cart upon delicate plates and napkins, I rolled them through a huge door into the palace. Going through dozens of long corridors and never-ending hallways, finally, I reached my destination, the Prince's room. I slowly knocked and was greeted with a casual 'enter'. The Prince was just two years older than me. He was already awake and in his formal wear and was going through some paperwork. Even if I had served eight long years under him and his parents, I had never seen him except his broad back which was always facing me, even now.

"I brought your breakfast , your Highness" I said in a quiet voice. He sighed and said,

"Do you ever feel like you don't belong?"

That was the most random thing I had ever heard! Although I do feel a little out of place sometimes-

"You can leave now " the Prince abruptly said in a tone, a tone which clearly implied that he didn't want me there any more. I bowed and left as swiftly as I could. That was a weird question for him to ask of. He had family, money and everything a human being needs to live a happy life. Why would he feel out of place? On the contrary, I had nothing! No family or money or anything a human being needs to live a happy life. I was the one who was out of place, without a purpose, without a destiny. One of my profound memories of my parents was the night Father left Mother and I to go to war. Just as he was about to step out of the house, he turned to look directly at me, his grey eyes gazing into my soul.

"Jane, you're destined for greatness. Find your purpose and hold onto it steadfast. Trust no one, but you".

With that odd speech, he left, closing the doors on Mother and me. Those words made me look into my past as a maid. Have I found my purpose ? No. Is this my destiny? I hope not. Have I let anyone belittle me ? Well, Almost everyone. Maybe, I'll change that attitude of mine. I also remember Mother saying that change comes to one only if they wish for it. Have I wished for it? Yes, but why has change eluded me? I can't wait for miracles any more. So, I will have to stand up for myself. No one can belittle me, at least not from today. I tried shaking off the past with a shiver and entered the kitchen. But I would have never guessed who was waiting for me. Well, my internal alarms of danger did.