Chapter 8

It took three days for us to reach Bristol. Mr. Jones and I became good friends in such a short time, due to his marvelous sense of humor. He dropped me off at Bristol square.

"Take care, lad. I will visit ya and Mrs. White if I ever came to the Capital"

"Of course, Mr. Jones. You will be greeted warmly with wide arms and apple pies" I replied with a big grin.

He chuckled and waved me goodbye. Okay, back to business then. I need a ride to the Capital. Maybe I should go to the market and search.

* Two days later *

I leaned near a huge sign saying 'Wanted- Ride to the Capital for a cheap price.'  

None of those day traders- unlike Mr. Jones- offered a free ride, as the economy of Bristol was not something to brag about.

How could I even afford a ride for the price of five gold coins?

At least, the price is okay if it was just three, which is exactly the amount I earned by slaving away in a bakery. I need to thank Mrs. White for teaching me the basic art of kneading flour. But that cannot be fulfilled unless I get back.

I really need someone who could take me to the Capital for a cheap price. Why should life be so hard?

While taking in the populace of Bristol, ruled by King Malcolm and his daughter Bridget, I saw people from all walks of life. There were a few Nobles walking around the shops, buying various things which they obviously didn't need.

Why did that gaudily clothed lady order a fur coat when it's the middle of summer?!

Shaking my head, I turned to look around another spot bustling with activity. It was Bristol's mine entrance. I could see how skinny workers handed in a few pieces of mineral for a copper coin, which was the lowest form of currency.

Such low wages. It's all because of the Queen hating the water cities.

Bristol was the main water source for the Capital and it is said that the previous Queen was from Bristol. The current King, in his early days, used to spend a lot of time in Bristol. When Princess Scarletta's kingdom invaded the Capital, a they were too powerful and there must have been too many causalities. That is why the crown Prince Reginald decided to marry Princess Scarletta to bring peace to the kingdom. Even today, some say that there is a constant power struggle between the King and Queen but these royal matters are too nerve-wrecking! Diverting my attention back to the busy market, I spotted a familiar black cape. It must be Al! What should I do?

Should I go greet him?

No, I just can't do that even if it was the proper etiquette. We, kind of, had an argument and went our separate ways the last time we met. Knowing Al, he would have forgotten me. I better not do anything.

I kept my position and continued my hobby of watching people (I know that it was a weird hobby, but I would do anything to pass the time. I was so incredulously bored!). Something was unusual! Why are there two men trailing Al wherever he went? I decided on an impulse to follow them. What could they possibly want with that loner Al?

Suspicious.

Al went through some streets. Somehow, I felt that the people who were following Al were increasing. There was a bald man with bright red coat, a man who was completely clad in black with a top-hat, a man with furry white coat (What is it with people and fur coats in the middle of summer?), another dressed up in blue sailor's clothes.

Why are these obnoxious men following Al?

Al then went into a lone, creepy looking alley. Suddenly that man with the top-hat, who was following closely behind Al, pulled out a sword which glinted in the sunlight.

That sword is real!

"Look out Al!" I screamed at the top of my voice and closed my eyes, not wanting to see the horror.

 Clang!

The sound of metals clashing echoed through the alley. I opened my eyes and was shocked. Al had countered the ninja's attack with his sword!

Where did he get that sword?! That cape holds a lot of secrets.

All the hideous men shouted in unison,"Get him!" and charged at him simultaneously.

A punch to Al's face came flying but Al dodged it by stepping to the side. He ducked under the arm and jumped away, landing a slash to the arm with his sword. His moves were very smooth, just like blades of grass weaving through the wind, or flower petals riding the gentle breeze. Many punches and kicks and weapons came flying in his way but he avoided them with the grace of a swan. He was so alert like a tiger- well, not too alert. Just when Al was delivering a blow to the man in the red coat, the man with the top-hat sneaked up on him with that sword. Al turned around looking at that man, his eyes wide in fear!

Slash!

Few drops of blood stained the sandy floor, the colour of the blood being a contrast to the sand. Al was down in the ground, panting hard. He had not expected that they would fight dirty. Taking a deep breath, he slowly got up and regained his countenance. Looking down, he saw that the floor was bloody and while looking back to the man with the top-hat, he saw me clutching my left arm tightly. He staggered back when he saw the blood dripping from my hands.

I had pushed Al out of the way but I got slashed in return. The other men looked confused but went to attack Al again. Since he already regained his countenance, Al made one man lose his balance by kicking his legs. My eyes started to become blurry. I always hated blood. Now to think that I was losing so much blood, it made me dizzy. The world went black.