Matt's POV (VI)

I woke up a few days later to Lila singing happy birthday to me. Still groggy, I thanked her and flopped back on my bed.
"Come on! You can't celebrate your birthday in bed, duh!" She said as she dragged me out of bed. I landed on the carpet but still got hit by the wood under it. "Ow.." I groaned. I got up and walked to my terrace to catch a breather, when I noticed movement behind me, it was Anne.
"Hey, Matt." She said as she jumped off of my roof and landed perfectly.
"Hey.." I said sleepily.
"I heard one of us has a birthday." She said.
"Yeah, mine." I pointed at myself.
"I told the others about it." She said as she walked towards me.
"Kinda noticed that when Lila dragged me out of bed.." I muttered as I watched the sunrise. "Listen, Matt.. I'm sorry." She said quietly. "For what? Before? You were right about Clara and you kept your side of the bargain." I muttered, already fed up with bringing her back up.
"Matt, it's not about that.. and Clara came through for us in the end, when she-" I interrupted her. "When she died?! I should've had that dagger in my heart, but she chose to jump in front of me. I asked for it, I taunted Marcus to throw the dagger! I should've been dead!" I balled up my fists and stayed by the balcony. "Matt, she chose this because she wanted to, she knew you'd do something that will change the world.." she said as she walked over to me. "Matt, she did this for you, and we would've done the same. No matter who despises you in this team, we'll still stick up for each other.." She said. Then she kissed me.
But I thought- you said you- I stuttered.
I did, I thought I'd make a mistake if we ever dated and I didn't come down here.. now I know I did when I said we were just friends.. She thought. Happy birthday, by the way. She thought finally. We stayed there until my party started. She held my hand and we walked back inside.