Chapter 18

I take a deep breath in the mirror as I place the last bobby pin in my hair making sure everything stays in place. I run my hands down my champagne color dress feeling the silk glide on my hands.

"You look great." Robbie smiles at me.

I turn around and see him in his tux. I feel myself blush. Just seeing him in a tux makes me swoon, "You look great too."

"Should we get going then?"

"Yeah."

I get in the car and he starts to drive. I can't believe today is my last day with him. It feels like I've been with him for a lifetime. I wish I could do something more fun than go to this wedding. Maybe I could have even stayed in London for a few more weeks. I can't really turn back time at this point. I should just be grateful that I even met him. We pull into the venue and get out of the car.

There's a lot of people here maybe I can blend into the background and go unnoticed.

"Serena!" Grace's mom waves to me.

"Hi." I put on a fake smile and wave back.

"Grace wanted me to come and find you. She wants to talk to you about something." she says.

"Oh... um ok." I hesitate.

"She's in her 'dressing room' fifth door on the right."

I nod my head and head down the hall. My stomach twists into a knot when I see Luke heading my way.

"You could do better you know." he says making me stop in my tracks.

I laugh, "What makes you think that? It's not like I could do worse. I dated you don't forget that." I smile and tilt my head slightly.

He rolls his eyes, "What are you even doing here? None of the guests are allowed back here."

"I'm not telling you." I say to him and leave. I go to find Grace's room and hear tiny sniffles.

I stand in the doorway and she Grace with her head in her hands sitting at an empty table.

"Are you okay? My mom said you wanted to talk to me?" I ask as I slowly walk towards her. She lifts her head up and nods. She has tear streaks running down her face.

"I'm surprised you're here." she said.

"Well I said I'd come didn't I?"

"I know but, I didn't think you would actually come."

"I didn't either. But here I am." I sigh.

"You don't deserve this." Grace bursts out into tears.

"What?" I look at her.

"Oh god I'm a terrible friend. I'm marrying your ex-fiancé and you're at my wedding. You really didn't have come. I would understand if you didn't."

I rush to hand her some tissues, "It's fine. I'm over it. I have someone else now I'm truly okay."

She sniffles, "You're not mad at me?"

"Well I was mad and confused at first and felt a little betrayed. But I realized that when we were together we didn't love each other. I did leave him at the alter so that says a lot. He wasn't the one for me and I'm okay with that. I'm happy with my life right now." I smile.

"He does make me happy and when I see him I just know that he was made for me." she beams as she reapplies her makeup, "When are you and Robbie making it official?" she randomly asks.

"What made you ask that?" I raise my eyebrow.

"I just see the way he looks at you. I thought you guys would have been boyfriend and girlfriend by now." she shrugs.

"We went on like four dates or something like that. I wouldn't say we were boyfriend and girlfriend. I really like him but it won't work out. He lived in England and I live here. It just doesn't seem like it could work." I tell her, "It's my last day with him and I just don't want to get brokenhearted when he's all the way over there. I've never been good with long distance anyway. What we have... had was good and I don't regret it and I want it to go somewhere but it's not the time." I say.

"You never let yourself be happy." Grace says.

"You can thank my mom for that." a tiny laugh escapes my mouth.

"You really deserve to be happy. Go back to London with him. Have him move here, you just can't give up." she says.

"I just want to focus on today. You're getting married. We should focus on you." I protest trying to change the subject.

"I'd hate myself if you didn't get this happy ending since I stole your last one."

"You didn't steal this him. He was never mine."

"Just please, think about it." she pleads.

"It's almost time to start. We should get you ready and I should get to my seat."

"Okay but Serena, please don't hold yourself back from your happiness." Grace smiles.

I nod and leave the room. Could we really work out? We could I guess. Would he be worth it though? Will he even stay? What if he moved here and five months later he's back in London.

I take my seat and his face lights up.

"Hey where were you?"

"I had to talk to Grace about somethings." I tell him.

"I thought you just ditched me." he chuckles.

"I'm not that mean." I laugh.

The wedding starts and the flower girls walks down the aisle followed by the bridesmaids then the bride. We all stood up and as Grace passed me she give me a tiny smile. We all sat down once she reached the end. Robbie put his arm around me and everything felt right. As if I instantly forgot everything. I forgot this was my last day with him. I could see this whole future with him. It all seemed right. Yet I have to give it up.