Chapter 13

Sunlight seeps through my window telling me I should get up. I rub my eyes and blink a few times trying to wake myself up. A smile grows on my face knowing that every second that passes is a second closer to seeing Robbie.

"Hey are you free today? I was thinking we could go to Hyde park or somewhere like that closer to us?" I ask as I bump into him in the hallway.

"Yeah. That sounds fun." he smiles, "Leave around noon?"

"Yeah. I'm good with that." I say and head back to my room to get ready.

_________

He pulls into the parking lot of a park. It's really quiet here but I like it.

"It usually gets more crowded but it is only noon and people are probably eating." he chuckles.

"I like when it's quiet. There's just something about it that makes me feel cozy inside." I say.

We find a pair of swings to sit on. I rock back and forth a little bit. Letting the breeze run through my hair and sun hit my face.

"I used to come here a lot with my sisters as a kid." he says breaking the silence, "They'd like to play some princess game and make me be some dragon or something." he laughs as he rolls his eyes.

"Hm dragon... interesting." I smirk.

"It was all fun and games until I fell down stairs over there." he points at a small jungle gym.

"How many times did that happen?" I smile.

"Too many, too often."

My phone vibrates in my pocket. I get a message from Grace.

My stomach turns into a knot

My stomach turns into a knot. What is happening? This was obviously meant for someone else so maybe she's talking about someone else. Unless it's me. I open my messages and reply as fast as I can.

 I open my messages and reply as fast as I can

She doesn't answer. I'm so worried. Did my mom die? That's a little too extreme but it seems like it could be that bad. Who knows? It must be about me if she's not answering, right? Or maybe I'm super conceited but she's acting weird and this seems like something really serious.

"Everything okay, love?" Robbie looks over at me with a concerned look.

"Um yeah. I just have to call my friend for a minute. I'll be right back." I tell him. My legs shake when I stand up from the swing. Every step I take makes me feel more nauseous than I already am. I type her number and call her immediately. I can barely lift the phone up to my ear. I don't get why I'm so worried. It might not even be about me. One ring goes by. Two rings go by. Three rings go by. Pick up, pick up, pick up, please pick up. Four ring. Then static.

"Hello?" I sigh of relief when she picks up.

"Grace! Is everything ok? I got a text from you. It seemed really bad. Is everything ok over there?"

"Oh god." I can hear her voice shake, "I've done a terrible thing."

"Just tell me. We can get through it together." I assure her.

"No you don't understand. If I tell you, you'll hate me forever."

"I'm the most understanding person you know. Just tell me. I swear we can work it out. Do you want me to head back there?" I ask.

"I wanted to tell you in person but I can't and I know there's no way to tell you but," she sighs, "I'm getting married... to Luke."

"I'm sorry? Did you say Luke as in my ex fiancé?" Confusion, shock, anger, pain, all run through my mind. It all clicked. The man's voice I heard on the phone when I talked to her last time was Luke's. I knew it sounded familiar. I'm such an idiot. How did I not piece it together sooner?

"I'm so sorry." she bawls her eyes out, "I didn't think this would happen but he kept pushing."

"Wait. When did this all start?"

"Two years ago. It just sort of happened. I tried to push him away. Trust me."

"What? You were going to let me marry him when you were in love with him or had a relationship with him?"

"We both were doing it to make you happy."

"You knew I wasn't happy with him. Why did you drag it out so long?"

"I don't know. I thought it was a good idea at the time." she mumbles.

"When were you going to tell me about the wedding? Through a card? Ten years from now? Never? Did you think I was going to stay in London forever and you'd be safe?"

"I don't know!" she blurts out through tears, "I was trying to find a good time."

"There's never really a good time to tell you're best friend that she's getting married to her ex fiancé." I say.

"I know, I know. There's no good time. But I still wanted you to show up at the wedding. Will you go? It's next week on the twenty eighth." she pleads.

Say no. Why would you go? You're ex fiancé and his family will be there. They all hate you. Just say no, "Fine I'll go." Damnit why did I say that? I told myself to say no. How can you screw that up?

"Really?"

"Yeah. See you on the twenty eighth." I hang up on her and walk back to Robbie."

"Is everything okay, love?" he looks at me.

"Not really." I sigh as I sit on the grass. He joins me pulling me into a hug and stroking my hair.

"What happened?"

"My best friend was dating my ex fiancé behind my back and now their getting married. Best part of all is she asked if I would come to the wedding. I said yes."

"Why?"

"I panicked and it just sort of came out. Like I said the words before I even knew what I was saying."

"I'm so sorry this happened Serena."

"Will you be my date to the wedding? It's okay if you don't want to come. If it's too much I understand."

"Of course I'll go. I'll do anything for you." he says as he pulls me in tighter, hugging me as if all the pressure would be me back together.