Chapter 8 - Part 1: BET Awards

I spotted Ray and his friends instantly. They were all wearing a casual all black suit with their favorite colors for example, Jacob had green, Chres - blue and Craig - red except for Ray who had a hint of gold to go with my dress. I could already feel the awkward vibes fill the air as soon as Ray spotted me. I wasn't ready to face him, but I had no choice.

"Zonnique, you look stunning!" Keisha exclaimed, once she saw me. She pulled me in for a hug and I wrapped my arms around her petite body, hugging her back.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"Where's your mom?" Wow, just had to ruin the moment.

"She had to go meet with my dad."

"Oh."

"This dress is so beautiful." Jacob complimented, admiring every sparkle. Everybody agreed with him. Ray just stood there looking stuck.

"I couldn't help but fall in love with it." I grinned, smoothing out my waist line.

"Alright." Kenneth tried getting our attention. "Harry will accompany Ray and Zonnique down the red carpet. Then people might ask for you and Bahja to take pics together then they might ask the boys too.Then once you get down to the end, I want you all to take a group pic. The rest of us will be waiting inside."

"You guys have to look like the cutest couple out there in front of all those cameras." Claire said firmly, making sure we understood the importance of this. She directed her gaze at Ray. "Ray, hold her close, kiss her cheek, make her blush." Ray nodded blankly and I knew this was gonna be a disaster. "Zonnique..." she sighed. "Pretend your enjoying it." I nodded.

"Okay. One more thing." Kenneth continued. "During the show you have to hold hands. Ray's award is being announced first, if he wins you guys will hug. Ray kiss her cheek, something cute. If Zonnique wins her award you guys will hug and kiss... on the lips." My stomach twisted nervously and I snuck a peek at Ray. He looked calm, like this was no big deal. Kenneth moved on. "During Zonnique's performance, try to be extra supportive." He said to Ray.

Ray nodded. "Got it. Can we go now?" He sounded slightly irritated and I was hoping he wouldn't take it out on me or this stunt.

Kenneth sighed, getting slightly stressed out as a result of Ray's attitude. "Yes."

Claire and Kenneth made their way into the venue where the award show would be taking place.

"You ready?" Ray asked. It was the first words he's spoken to me since the day we made out in my bedroom.

"Have fun guys." He said to everybody as we began walking to the red carpet.

I inhaled a shaky breath, feeling so nervous I thought I might throw up. Ray took a hold of my hand, lacing his fingers through mine. We stood at the end of the carpet waiting for one of the workers to direct us. When a man in a suit and ear piece moved his arm in a circle signaling us to stand in the middle of the carpet, I felt glued to the floor. My brain said move but my feet wouldn't listen. Ray looked at me, noticing I wasn't moving.

"Come on." I was shaking from nerves. I've never felt this way in my life. What's going on? I worked up the courage to make my way to the middle of the carpet, Ray holding my hand tightly. As soon as we walked out paparazzi went insane. I was blinded by all the flashing lights and the only thing that could be heard was them yelling at us on how to pose and where to look.

Ray's arm hooked around my waist and he pulled me close. We both smiled at the tons of cameras taking our picture. From what I could tell, they thought we looked like a cute couple. They constantly kept encouraging Ray to kiss me and I was hoping he wouldn't. The cameras were overwhelming as it was. I felt Ray turn to look at me and after a few seconds I decided to meet his gaze, looking up at him. He had a huge smile on his face that was contagious causing me to smile as well. For a moment, we actually felt like a real couple. I felt myself get a little self conscious so I turned my attention back to the cameras. I felt Ray press his lips firmly against my cheek. The camera flashes multiplied by ten if that was even possible. I felt myself blush when he pulled away causing me to hide my face in his shoulder.