Chapter Ten

A/N : I am in two minds about this chapter! Not very happy about it! Anyway let me know what you think! Don't forget to Vote and Comment!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jenna stirred and slowly opened her eyes. She looked around and realised that she was not in her room. She saw Tyler sitting in an arm chair in one corner of the room. He seemed to be sleeping.

Confused, Jenna called out to him, “Tyler! You awake?”

Tyler’s eyes shot open and he jumped out of the chair.

“Jenna! Oh my God! You’re awake! Pat, Richard! Come in quick! Jenna’s awake!”

Pat and Richard rushed into the room and hugged her.

“Where am I? And what happened? What is Tyler doing here?”

“Slow down honey. Don’t exert yourself,” said Richard, “This is a room connected to our clinic and Tyler was keeping an eye on you since we had a couple of patients outside.”

“But what happened and why am I here?”

Pat sighed and said, “Well, we came home that evening and you were fast asleep so we didn’t want to wake you up. The next morning you never came down for breakfast and when we went up to your room, we found you half fallen off your bed. You had a very high temperature and so we rushed you here. But our clinic wasn’t set up completely as yet so we called up the Burke’s. May sent Tyler over immediately with a pillow and some sheets. It’s been three days since we brought you in but you showed no signs of waking up and all of us were very worried. We took turns watching over you. I am so glad you’re awake now Jen. How are you feeling?”

“Surprisingly I feel very refreshed and rested. I don’t feel sick in the least bit.”

“Well, let me just check you up and if I think you’re fine, we’ll head home,” said Richard.

                                                      *******************

                It was a warm evening and Jenna sat on the swing in the backyard. Memories of that night were slowly coming back to her – the heat, the blood.. But she wasn’t sure if it had actually happened or if she had deliriously dreamt it all. Her phone beeped. She looked at it and saw a message from Tyler – Hey Jen, hope you doing fine. Call me if you need anything – Tyler. She smiled and typed out her reply – All well. Thanks. See you soon! And hit send.

She heard Pat calling her in for dinner. She jumped off the swing and headed inside, shutting the doors behind her. The lovely smell of stew wafted to her nostrils and her stomach growled in response. Laughing to herself, she went and joined her parents at the table.

After dinner, Jenna wasn’t feeling sleepy so she decided to watch a movie. She plopped herself on to the couch after popping in a dvd. After a while she heard Pat and Richard heading to their room but she was too absorbed in the movie to pay much attention to them. Another hour passed and the movie credits were rolling. She yawned and turned off the television. The house was enveloped in silence.

The loud ringing of her phone pierced through the night shattering the quiet. Jenna frowned and looked at her watch. It was well past midnight. Who on earth could be calling her this late? ‘Private Number’ flashed on her screen. Hesitantly, she pressed the answer button and held the phone to her ear.

“Hello?”

Silence.

“Hellooooo?”

Again there was silence and then a loud, raspy breathing could be heard and then the line was disconnected.

Jenna started trembling. The memories of the previous week began haunting her again. She quickly checked if all the doors and windows were closed tightly and she rushed up to her room. She decided to leave the lights on and she jumped into bed.

The next morning Pat was in the garden tending to some flowers. She heard footsteps and looked up. She smiled when she saw Jenna approaching her.

“Good morning Jen! Did you sleep well?”

                “I guess so. Aren’t you going to the clinic today?”

                “No. Richard has already left. I told him that I wasn’t feeling well,” replied Pat smiling mischievously.

                “Why?”

                “You know that our anniversary is coming up next week right? So I thought I would go shopping today and pick up something special for him. Thirty years we’ve been married and your father is still gets excited like a small child when he gets a gift! Would you like to come with me? We can have a girls’ day out. Spend some quality mother – daughter time.”

                “I would love that!” exclaimed Jenna, “Let me just go grab my purse and car keys and let’s hit the road!”

                After endless hours of shopping and a pedicure, the two of them decided to stop by at the clinic and meet up with Richard. He was just winding up his last case for the day as they walked in.

                “Well! Well! If it isn’t my two favourite ladies!” he exclaimed, “I’m almost done. Let me just close up and we can head home.”

                Jenna pushed the two of them towards the door.

                “Why don’t you’ll head home. I will lock up and come. We anyway have two cars.”

                “Are you sure Jen?” Pat asked.

                “One hundred percent! Now both you love birds can move your butts from here!”

                Jenna began shutting off the computer and locking the drawers. She went to the window to shut the blinds when a slight movement outside caught her eye. It looked like someone was standing and staring straight at her. The sun had almost set and it was quite dark outside and from where she stood, she couldn’t tell if it were a man or woman. When she looked again, the figure was gone.

                An uneasy feeling settled in the pit of her stomach. She quickly locked up the office and headed to her car. Once in, she made sure that all four doors were locked and she began driving home.

                The road was quite dark and there were no streetlights. Jenna drove slowly trying to focus on the road in front of her. She heard a loud honk behind her and saw a huge truck barrelling down the road. She had two options – Drive faster and try and stay ahead of the truck or pullover to the side and let it pass. The second option seemed the most sensible one so she began slowing down and put on her right indicator.

                She suddenly saw a flash of white pass by her. She turned and noticed a little girl standing at the side of the road sucking her thumb and holding a teddy bear in her hand. It looked like she was trying to run across the road. Jenna tried to scream and tell her about the truck but she lost control of her car and she rammed hard into the side of the curb and her head slammed forward.

                Without wasting anytime, she pulled off her seatbelt and jumped out of the door to try and catch the girl. But when she looked around there was no one there! The truck went rushing past her and she continued staring into the dark.

                She heard a loud cackle coming from across the road. She turned towards the sound and saw the girl sitting on a tree branch. Instead of the teddy bear, she now held a knife in her hand. She turned towards Jenna with eyes darker than the night. She pointed the knife towards her and laughed like a maniac. Her childish features began deforming and she suddenly sprouted a pair of black wings.

                The knife came hurtling towards Jenna and with a blood curdling shriek, the creature in the branches took flight and flew away into the darkness.