Chapter Twenty Eight

Jenna closed the bright red gate behind her and walked forward in a daze. She clutched on to the envelope in her hand.

“Michelle died thirty years ago.”

“We have no idea who you have been speaking to but that wasn’t Michelle.”

“Please be careful or you might get harmed.”

“It may be happening again.”

“Go to Betty. Now.”

“Give Francis this envelope. Tell him that it was in Michelle’s cupboard. It may help.”

“Hurry. Run.”

She stumbled forward into the darkness of the night. The street lights were off and there wasn’t a single soul in sight. She had no idea where she was going but she just kept walking.

The silence was shattered by her phone’s ring tone. The loud sound broke her out of her reverie. She glanced at her watch.

8:55 pm.

Frightened she looked at her phone’s screen and let out a sigh of relief when she saw who was calling.

“Tyler, please...”

“Jenna where the hell are you?? I told you not to move. I’ve been looking around for you everywhere and why have you not been answering your phone?”

“Tyler.. Michelle..”

“Who the hell is Michelle? Where are you Jenna?”

“I am somewhere near Tom and Kate’s house, Tyler. I don’t know where though. Please come here, Tyler please.”

“Okay Jenna, just don’t move. I’m coming. I know where their house is.”

Jenna stopped walking and looked around herself. She couldn’t see anything. She sat down at the side of the road and wrapped her arms around her trying to keep herself warm.

8:58 pm.

“Michelle died thirty years ago.”

Tom’s words kept resonating through her head.

Who was the red head who had met her?

Who had she been speaking to?

Who had come to her house?

Who had beaten her black and blue and left her at the barn?

Who??

She had said that her name was Michelle.

She looked exactly like the picture she had seen at Tom and Kate’s house.

Who was she?

Why had she lied?

“Don’t tell anyone about me Jenna.”

Jenna wanted to scream out loud when she heard the sound of a car’s engine. Quickly she jumped up from the ground. She shielded her eyes as the car’s headlights hit her face. The car pulled to a stop next to her and the door swung open.

“Get inside right now,” yelled Tyler. “What is wrong with you? Do you have any idea how far away you have wandered?”

He suddenly caught sight of Jenna’s pale face as she turned to look at him. She looked scared out of her wits. He realised something was wrong and changed his tone immediately.

“Jen, what’s wrong?” he asked her gently.

“Tyler.. Do you know where the cliffs are?”