Chapter Nine

Francis opened a small black bag of his. His special kit he called it. From that he took out some leather straps, a bottle of holy water, another empty bottle that he filled with tap water, his Bible, 3 Rosaries and one crucifix. He locked the rest of his belongings into his suitcase and stepped outside, shutting the room door behind him. He found Cathy and Bill waiting at the bottom of the stairs for him. He walked towards them and placed a Rosary in each of their hands.

“Put this around your neck and DO NOT take it off until I tell you to. Cathy, I want you to stay here downstairs in the hall. Keep some water and bread ready. In case this goes on for long, we may need to take breaks in between. Bill, I want you to come upstairs with me. You have to listen to every single thing I tell you.”

Both of the nodded their heads silently and followed instructions. Francis and Bill headed upstairs to Maggie’s room. Just before they entered, Francis paused outside and prayed. He then made the sign of the cross and put some Holy water on Bill and himself.

“Just remember, under all circumstances, you have to listen to me and only me Bill. No matter what that thing says to you, do not be fooled by it. Listen ONLY to me.”

And they entered the room.

The room was dark. A small figure lay huddled up on the bed whimpering, illuminated by the moon light shining through the open window. The air in the room felt thick with pure evil.

Bill flicked on the light switch and the entire room lit up. Francis noticed Maggie turn to look at them.  Her face was covered with scars and her eyes looked empty and broken. Seeing her look like that, he was filled with a seething fury directed towards the beast that was tormenting such a pure and innocent soul.

“Don’t come near me. He wants to kill you,” a soft whisper came from the bed.

“Maggie, don’t worry my child. I am here to help you,” said Francis. “Bill, take these leather straps and tie her hands to the bed post. I will do the same with her legs. Tie them as tight as you can.”

The duo set about tying Maggie to the bed. She just stared at them in silence. Francis then took out the Bible from his robes and began praying over her.

Maggie began thrashing violently, the bonds straining at her joints. The entire cot started shaking. Bill began to tremble.

“Focus on me Bill. Don’t get distracted. Just keep looking at me.”

Francis continued praying and the bed shook harder and harder. And suddenly all was still. Maggie turned slowly to look at them; eyes pitch black, face contorted into pure ugly evil. Francis realised that they were now no longer dealing with Maggie.

“Hello Father,” a sinister masculine voice spoke. “She is now with me. She belongs to me. You and your little boy can run along and play with each other somewhere else.”

“In the name of the Father and of The Son and of The Holy Spirit, I command you to tell me who you are,” Francis ordered.

That thing threw its head back and cackled. The entire room became ice cold. Bill continued to stare steadfastly at Francis.

“In the name of the father, son and holy spirit”, mocked the thing and it continued laughing, “Piss off from here. She is mine now. You are too late.”

“The Lord is never late. I command you to tell me who you are.” And Francis sprinkled tap water on to the thing.

“Are you trying to give me a bath with it? You need it more you God man. You stink. You and your little boy next to you. Get out.”

“In the name of Jesus, I command you to tell me your name,” screamed Francis and this time he sprinkled Holy water on to it.

The creature began to howl and started thrashing around violently.