Chapter Six

A/N: Short but Important Chapter! Sorry for the long wait.. Have been suffering from massive writer's block!!! Hope you enjoy the chapter!!

<========= Don't forget to Vote and Comment!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                Location: Somewhere in the middle of Egypt

                Time: Mid Afternoon

                Francis wiped the sweat of his brow as the harsh rays of the sun beat down on him. He tried fanning himself with a piece of cloth but gave up after a few minutes.

                “How much longer?” he leaned over from the back of the jeep to ask the driver.

                “Twenty minute.” said the native driver without looking back.

                Francis rested his 65 year old body back into his seat and closed his eyes looking forward to the comfort of his bed and a good, hot meal. He was returning home after 20 days out in the desert. 20 days of tending to the son of the Chief of one of the Bedouin tribes who was possessed by a demonic spirit. The Chief had treated his only heir for every possible illness and finally when all else had failed, he had called upon Francis. The spirit had been a stubborn one. Refusing to leave the boy at first but after a long battle that lasted fourteen sunsets, Francis prevailed. With the boy resting peacefully on his mother’s lap and the gratitude of the Chief with him, Francis was now finally returning home.

                The jeep lurched to a stop and Francis opened his eyes with a jerk.

                “We reach” mumbled the driver.

                Francis jumped out of the jeep and lugged his small suitcase behind him. The driver rushed off at break neck speed without as much as a glance backwards. Francis opened the door of his house and walked in. Throwing his bag on the floor, he headed straight to the bathroom to have a long and relaxing bath.

                Once fresh, he decided to step out to eat something and then pick up groceries to last him the next few days. Originally from America, he had been living in Egypt for a little over five years now and was quite well versed with the local customs and language. It had been many years since he had actually been to his home country. His work took him all over the world.

                When Francis was around thirteen years old he realised that on many occasions he could see and hear things that people around him could not. He began to get drawn more and more towards the dark and unknown. He started to notice unknown beings lurking within people and found that he was able to speak to these beings.

                At first he was frightened. But gradually he came to understand that he could use his unique gift to help people. After many hours being spent at the library and umpteen letters, phone calls and meetings with like people, he decided that this was his calling. He graduated at the age of 22 with a degree in human psychology and another in mental physiology. He then joined his church and studied everything he could about demonology and the supernatural world.

                Francis then began his practice. His works included helping spirits cross over, investigating areas that were supposedly haunted and the worst of all – Exorcisms! Not all of them ended the way they were supposed to.

                He was summoned to Cairo five years ago to investigate some caves that were thought to be the homes of the undead. That one case led to another and he soon realised that a place like this with its history of buried tombs and lost treasures was indeed fertile with spirits all over the place. He ended up sticking around here as it proved to be a gold mine for research and study and the amount of practical knowledge he derived here, he hadn’t anywhere else in all his working years combined together.

                Now as he sat at a small hotel eating some Aish (Local bread) and Kabab, he felt that his time here was ending. It was time he moved on to a different location and then maybe finally head back home where he can relax and enjoy his old age.