Betrayed

Kakashi dragged his former student out to the rooftop of the hospital, to Itachi's surprise.

"What's going on?" Sasuke didn't dare underestimate the fury in Kakashi's visible eye.

"You tell me," Kakashi said, his voice deadly. "How long do you plan on making him suffer?"

"Making who suffer?" Though Sasuke had a feeling that he knew where Kakashi was going.

"Naruto. Why are you toying around with his feelings, Sasuke?" Kakashi asked candidly.

"I'm... I'm... toying around with his feelings?!" Sasuke was furious at the blunt accusation.

"Aren't you?" Kakashi asked, barely controlling his anger. "Damn you, can't you see how hard it is for him? To congratulate everyone on being with their soulmates, keeping up that perfect, I'm-fine-don't-worry attitude? Trying so hard to be the person everyone knows him to be?"

"You mean, he's in love with me of all people?" Sasuke's voice held longing and disbelief.

"He is, and he's suffering for it," Kakashi assured him. "He wants you to love him back, but he won't take the initiative. He wants you to love him for who he is, not because he moved first, and you feel compelled to accept. Hasn't he pushed everyone else away? You're the only one who hasn't so much as tried. Even your brother tried, making a move on Naruto."

"My brother is an idiot!" Sasuke spat vehemently. He could never forgive Itachi for that.

"How fucking stupid are you?" Kakashi snapped. "Are you going to be a coward, Sasuke?"

"The fuck did you just say?" Sasuke snarled. "Me, a coward? Are you insane, sensei?"

"Sensei? Oh, please. I never taught revenge. I never taught you to trample all over the feelings others have for you, either," Kakashi scoffed. "And yes, you are a coward, Uchiha Sasuke. I was in love with him too. All I did was some homework. I knew Shikamaru was trying to figure out who Naruto was in love with, and Neji seemed to have the same mission in his head. I tailed them both, often teaming up with the Nara, just to hear him tell Neji everything. After all, I guess there's a special bond between them, considering as Neji literally died to protect him. He got rejected, but he stood strong, so that Naruto could finally release all his pent-up feelings. He stood by Naruto, while Naruto was wishing it was you. He was there for him, when you were doing whatever. You love Naruto, and everyone knows that, given how you act around him. But since he's a knucklehead who's denser than osmium, he can't see that just yet. Heck, unless someone kisses him, he doesn't even realize that they were flirting with him, the little innocent. Well, just so you know, I stepped aside. I'm not going to tear him up further. I love him, and I will always love him, but I want him to be happy. If he wants me to stay his sensei, well so be it. I'm just, frankly, disgusted by your pride. You had to learn the hard way that revenge is useless. Are you going to learn your lesson about pride the same way? It doesn't lead to anything. All the fuss you make about the Uchiha name... who the hell cares? You know what? There are only four Uchihas in the world right now, three of who were revived by the person who is in love with you. NONE of them would consider it inappropriate if you just stopped being an ass and came out. You love him, and no one says it because you're an idiotic sociophobe. Well, if you're not going to make a move, then I'll just make sure that you regret it."

"Make me." Was all the raven said. If he knew the consequence, he would never do that.

Kakashi vanished. Revealing his plan to the other Uchihas, he convinced Itachi to secretly get a hold of Sasuke's katana, which he loved dearly, as well as a certain photo album. Shisui got around to secretly vacating a room next to the main room of the Hokage Tower, so that what all was said in the cleared room, would be heard by whoever was in the main office. Obito and Rin conveniently distracted Sasuke, as they dragged him along to go wedding shopping.