A Midnight Conversation

Azuma and Kurenai stood by the gates of the Academy, waiting for the bell to ring. Some of the kids were playing around the campus, and the nostalgic scene made Iruka smile.

"Time sure has passed since I was here last," Azuma commented. "It's way more peaceful."

"Yeah," Iruka agreed, content. "Naruto has become a fine Hokage. The Alliance between the Five Elemental Nations has remained intact, even after the war. There are shinobi families from other nations living here, and their children also attend our Academy. It really is peaceful now."

"Speaking of that," Kurenai smiled serenely. "Mina says she wants to become a Hokage, too."

"Oh no," Azuma pretended to sigh. "Don't tell me that means what I think it means, Kure..."

"Yeah, her favorite role model happens to be our very own Uzumaki Naruto," Kurenai laughed.

"I bet those two get along," Azuma grumbled, wondering what his daughter looked like.

"You're right about that," Iruka laughed. "More than Shikamaru, it's Naruto who she looks up to as her fill-in dad. Though, honestly, it does feel like we're watching two kids."

The bell rang at that very moment, and Azuma's head whipped up to watch the gates. Children came spilling out of the gates, yelling out to their parents, and simply jumping for joy.

"Ha! Where'd you get your red eyes?" a child shouted, loud enough to be heard over the racket.

"They're not even a Sharingan! Only Uchiha have red eyes!" Another boy joined the taunting.

"HA!" came a loud, clear young girl's voice. "I'M GOING TO BE THE SECOND FEMALE HOKAGE IN THE FUTURE, AND I'M GONNA LEARN FROM THE GREATEST HOKAGE EVER! BELIEVE IT!"

Azuma groaned, but had to admire the pluck his daughter had, to stand up to all the bullying.

"Hey, where are you going, red eyes?!" one of the boys who was teasing her shouted angrily.

"Mum's here to pick me, smart mouth! See ya in class tomorrow, dattebayo!" Mina laughed, as she ran up happily to where her dumbfounded parents and a smiling Iruka stood.

"Hello, Mina," Kurenai smiled down at her daughter. "That was very brave of you back there."

"I know, right?!" Mina jumped at the praise. "I'm really strong! Just like Naruto nii-chama!"

"Well, there's someone who wouldn't like Naruto to get all your attention," Kurenai grinned. "Look around." The small brunette with large red eyes holding black circles turned around.

"You're my dad?!" The girl's startled expression turned to one of delight. "He did it! Nii-chama said he'd bring you back to us, and he did! You've got to teach me some cool jutsus, Dad~!"

"Sure, sure," Azuma laughed, all his grumbling forgotten in the face of Mina's innocent words.

A sudden thud was heard from behind them, and they all turned around, to find Shikamaru frozen to the spot, while Naruto walked towards them, wearing his famous grin.

"Hiya, Azuma-sensei," he laughed. "Come to pick up Mina-chan? How are your injuries?"

"They're fine," Azuma said, turning to his old student. "Uh... Shikamaru? You still there?"

"Y-Yeah. I'm just surprised you got out of hospital so quickly," Shikamaru said quickly.

"But they released him right on schedule?" Kurenai giggled as Naruto frowned at her.

There was a moment of silence, then... "YOU GAVE ME THE WRONG DATE, NARUTO!!!"

"Yay!" Mina cheered inappropriately, making Naruto laugh, while Azuma followed suit.