Stifled Feelings

Neji decided to head home, knowing that he had to meet Hinata and Hizashi, the main branch. He was wondering how they would react. After all, he was considered to be dead. And everyone thought that Jiraiya was the only one who had been revived. The only people who knew the truth were Naruto, Shikamaru, Tsunade, Shizune and Hanabi, who had found out accidentally.

Suddenly, someone rammed into him, pulling him into a fierce embrace, making him gasp.

"NEJI! Thank goodness! Naruto had brought you back to the springtime of youth!!" Neji almost groaned, but laughed. He had missed Lee, too.

"You seem to be doing well," NEJI commented.

"Are you going to meet Hinata now?" Lee asked.

"Yeah. Might as well as face the music now," the long haired brunet sighed.

"Say... Neji... do you have anyone you to share your springtime of youth with?" Lee asked after a while, making his teammate roll his eyes.

"Sure," he said, deciding to be honest. "I do."

"Who is it?" Neji could see that Lee was having a hard time talking casually, he was tensed up.

"The one who saved me, of course," Neji smirked.

"Y-You mean... N-Naruto?!" Lee looked shocked.

"Yeah. All those years ago... in the Chunin exams. He saved me from my warped thinking. I've loved him ever since," Neji said exuberantly.

"I see..." Lee looked deflated. "Even you're going straight for the prize. Why is only Shikamaru capable of thinking like a proper human?"

"Yeah, I heard he got married," Neji laughed.

"Even he doesn't know who Naruto loves, though," Lee said. "Do you have any idea, Neji?"

"No, but we could ask Sasuke to ask him," Neji replied. "After I visit home, that is."

"Catch you later then!" Lee jumped up and away.

Neji clenched his teeth, his teeth gritting as he walked faster. He needed to find out who the lazy intellectual had been warning him about. Within no time, he found himself in front of the elaborately designed compounds of the main branch of the Hyuga family. Sighing for no reason whatsoever, he lifted one hand and knocked on the gates.

A moment later, the gates swung open, to reveal a shell-shocked Hizashi, who seemed to have been rendered speechless by the very sight of his supposedly dead nephew.

"Good morning, Hizashi-sama," Neji said calmly, as the man recollected his wits quickly.

"Neji... how...?" was all he managed to say, as one hand flying to cover his mouth.

"Hokage-sama amplified Uchiha-san's chakra so that more than one person could be revived," Neji shrugged, turning away. "I know this can't be good news for you, Hizashi-sama."

"Neji! I told you to call me Uncle!" Hizashi protested. "Aren't you going to come in at least?"

"Come...in?" Neji turned around in disbelief. "You want me to come into the main quarters?"

"T-That's not how it is anymore!" Hizashi said unhappily. "Anyway, please come in. Have you met Hinata or Hanabi yet? I'm sure they'll be overjoyed to see you again, Neji."

"I've met Hanabi, on the way here from the hospital," Neji said, his voice still emotionless.

"Hospital?" Hizashi looked at his nephew in worry, his large pearly eyes full of concern.

"I happened to be wounded, even if they revived me, my wounds were still open," Neji said.

"So that's how it was," Hizashi sighed in relief. "Are you still going to go out on missions?"

"Obviously. The Hokage brings me back, and you expect me to lie at home like some... I don't know, bedridden freak?" Neji scoffed. "I can't ever repay him. He's saved me twice over."

"Neji?!" Neji and Hizashi turned to the sound of the shocked feminine voice in front of them.

"Ah... Hinata-sama," Neji smiled thinly. "It's good to see you again. Well... I'll be going then?"

"N-Neji?" Hinata said timidly. "But.. I thought that Naruto ... revived his old sensei Jiraiya?"

Hizashi explained what had really happened to his daughter, before leaving the cousins alone.

"Are you... still in love with Naruto?" Neji asked softly, and the telltale blush covered the younger girl's cheeks as she nodded, embarrassed.

"Hinata-sama... you may hate me for this, and you have every right to do so. Naruto is Hokage, and he is more powerful than ever before. If he is going to keep someone by his side, it will be either someone he can rely on in tricky times, or someone who will protect him no matter what." Neji hauled in a breath and continued. "As for the person he can rely on, he has Shikamaru. There's no better person for that job. On the other hand... I believe I have already proved myself. I love Naruto. And I will always stay by his side."

"I know..." Hinata said softly. "I know he won't choose me. But you can't control who you fall in love with, Neji niisan. Anyway, I hope he chooses you. I... please look after him for me... Neji."

"Thank you very much, Hinata-sama. I would like your help in getting to find out who he is in love with," Neji sighed. "Everyone seems to be in love with him. But who does he love? You could ask him... He always tells you anything."

"I'll try, Neji," Hinata smiled, until Neji left.

I knew it... I KNEW IT!! I knew he wouldn't ever choose me! Why would he?! I'm useless! Neji is a powerful jonin, but I'm just some stupid chunin! I can't protect him like Neji can.

Even so ... I don't want to ask him. Because he will tell me, I am sure. And it won't be me. I don't want to hear that person's name. But Neji niisan never asks me for favors... so I want to help him out.

I want to know too. I want to know who my love is in love with. Whether it is a girl or not doesn't matter if it isn't me. But... will I dare ask him?

No, I must! I must do this for Neji niisan, as well as everyone else who is in love with Naruto...

I'be always loved Naruto. Right from the first day at the Academy, when he chased away the kids who were bullying me, even though he got hurt. We were only six then, huh. It seems like no time has passed, and now Naruto is a hero....

Not to mention, he is our Hokage! I couldn't confess at the right time, it will be so much more awkward if I were to do it now! And I can't protect him even if he does accept me. All I would be to him is a burden of we got together.

But that doesn't mean...that I don't love him.

I will always love my handsome Naruto-kun.