Moving On

Naruto woke to the smell of toast and baked beans, not necessarily a breakfast he liked. But he often skipped breakfast, never keeping track of how much time he spent in the office, so it smelt like heaven to him anyway. He got ready quickly and went to join Neji at the table.

"You just keep inviting yourself over, you know," he said, but he wasn't annoyed at all.

"If I didn't stay over, I'd just have to get ready earlier to come and wake you. And that way, you won't have a breakfast as well, s-" They were interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Come in - oh, Hinata?" Naruto looked surprised at their visitor, but Neji's eyes narrowed.

"I just wanted to tell you the good news," Hinata said, excited. "Kiba and I are engaged now!"

"Whoa, really?" Naruto seemed just as happy as she was. "I'm really glad for you, Hinata!"

"The wedding is in a month. You both will come, right? Father gave his blessing," she smiled.

"Of course we'll come," Neji said, also breaking into a smile. "I'm really glad you moved on."

"Everyone has to wake up at some point, but very few are brave enough," Naruto remarked.

"I'll be going now! Kiba is coming to help me train!" And with that, the Hyuga had disappeared.

"Let's go, we actually have to be at office," Naruto sighed. "By the way, did you just assign yourself as my own personal bodyguard or something? Shisui said something of the sort."

"Yeah, I guess I did," Neji smiled. "After all, no one better than one who is already proven."

"You got that right," Naruto laughed, grabbing his cloak. "Let's get a move, bodyguard."

On the other hand, Shikamaru had gone to Tenten's shop on the way to the office. She was more than surprised to meet him, considering that he was already married to Temari.

"I need to talk to you, Tenten," he said calmly, and the kunoichi immediately nodded.

"Is there someone you love?" he asked first. Maybe she might have a different crush.

"I do. And it's not Naruto, so don't worry. He's like my role model, not my crush. But the man I love happens to be in love with him," Tenten sighed. "And no, please. It's not Lee, either."

"Do you mean Neji?" Shikamaru guessed. Tenten didn't usually socialize with the others.

"Yeah," she replied, a telltale blush spreading over her cheeks. "But he really loves Naruto."

"I guess. I just wanted to clear that up," Shikamaru said, not telling her the actual truth.

"I wonder if Lee likes anyone?" Tenten grinned. Shikamaru groaned. That was impossible.

"Does youth have time for anything but training?" He called, and fled before she could reply.

The thought of Lee liking someone was daunting. It would have to be someone more 'youthful' than him, in that case, and for some reason, Shikamaru couldn't see that happening.

He crossed Tenten's name off the list before he knocked, and entered the Hokage's Office.

"Morning, Shika." Naruto's voice called, but the paper stack might as well as have spoken.

"This never changes," Shikamaru sighed, as he began to work on his own stack of papers.

"Excuse me, Shikamaru-san." They both looked up as Udon entered. "Choji-san is here."