Feelings of an Ex-Teacher

Kakashi Hatake walked down the streets of Konoha, reading his Icha Icha series as usual. It was right after the war of the Allied Shinobi Forces, and people from other villages were also now visiting the popular Hidden Leaf Village.

He sighed. He knew why people were suddenly flocking to Konoha. Naruto, obviously, was the reason. After helping with sealing Kaguya, undoing the Infinite Tsukuyomi, winning the battle with Sasuke and becoming the youngest Hokage, and the second youngest person to carry the title of Kage, he was something of an idol.

The moment they were released from hospital, Naruto had persuaded Sasuke to use some of his over-abundant chakra to revive Neji, Shikaku, Inoichi, Itachi, Jiraiya, Azuma, all of the other jinchuuriki, Obito, Rin and Lord Ao. It was another reason the village had to thank him for.

Kakashi's mind was anywhere but in his book. He had loved Naruto right from the time he had fought Zabuza as a genin, but he had never tried to confess his feelings. How could he? Naruto only saw him as his sensei, and nothing more. Upon Naruto's request, as Hokage, Kakashi had rejoined the ANBU.

"Hokage-sama," some girl squealed, catching the silver haired man's attention instantly. "Are you on your rounds again? You're a real hero!"

Ah, of course, it was Hanabi, the littlest Hyuga. Just like her sister, she also had a crush on the sunshine that was his favourite pupil.

"Hehe... thanks, Hanabi-chan," Naruto grinned, while Shikamaru just shook his head. "Say hi to your sister and Neji for me, dattebayo!"

"Say it to me yourself, Hokage-sama."

Everyone turned, to find Neji behind them, his arms crossed over his chest, smiling at Naruto.

"Whoa, if it isn't Neji!" Shikamaru smiled.

"You're out of hospital?!" Naruto threw his arms around the comrade who had sacrificed himself for him. "Shikamaru, you didn't tell me?!"

"So troublesome..." Shikamaru sighed, noticing how Kakashi had frozen as the blonde hugged the taller brunet, and suspicions formed in his head.

"Hehe... I wouldn't want to interrupt your work," Neji laughed softly. "Oh... congratulations. Want to meet up later? I want to hear everything from you, Naruto. Or should I say Shichidaime-sama?"

"Baka," Naruto laughed, releasing him, and Kakashi saw that both boys' eyes were misty. "Come by the Tower around eight tonight?"

"Sure, who else is gonna be with you?" Neji asked.

"Hey come on," Naruto grinned. "I'll be alone, of course, you big dummy! Now that Temari is expecting, Shika doesn't stay back too late."

"I see," Neji brightened. "Congratulations to you too, then, Shikamaru. Don't say it's troublesome."

"Yeah..." Shikamaru scowled slightly, moving closer to the brunet. "Hey, don't get closer to Naruto than before, or you might see red."

Only Kakashi heard the words Shikamaru spoke.

"I've waited for this forever," Neji hissed back. "Ever since that fight... I'm gonna make him mine. I'm surprised he still isn't taken!"

"More like had no time to be swept up by anyone," Shikamaru groaned, as he realised that Naruto was playing with some kids. "Naruto! Baka, we've got to get going! Hey! Hokage-sama!"

"Who is it, Shikamaru?" Neji demanded quietly.

"I'm not sure, but I have my suspicions. Please, Neji, leave Naruto to ... well, whoever," was the brisk reply he got, before the raven shot off to drag the pouting blonde back to work.

Kakashi eyed Neji with pure hostility. He was a powerful Hyuga jonin, but even he was doomed if he thought he would get the blonde to himself.

But ... Naruto hugged him. They stayed like that for quite a while too. That's not just a normal contact. For Neji... that's way too much contact.

Stop it, Kakashi. You saw how angry and sad he was when Neji died. If not for Hinata, he would probably have given in to those two.

Neji is probably more suited to Naruto anyway. They are closer in age, and they get along too. They respect each other at the same time, and if anything, they sure as hell understand each other..

And... it was Naruto who said he'd be alone. Didn't I see how excited he was, when he said that? He wanted to be alone with that Hyuga!

No... I'm not going to give up. I just have to make Naruto fall in love with me. I just have to confess, and hope he chooses me... right?

Then again... we're ten years apart, so would he even think about it? Moreover, I was his teacher, for fuck's sake! He still calls me sensei, dammit. Why can't I accept it?! He won't accept this. I don't even know whether he would consider it right to be with a man, forget everything else. He still has a crush on Sakura, doesn't he? Why am I so blind?

This can't be happening! I can't lose to some brat who is ten years younger than me! Damn, he might be a Hyuga, or a jonin, but do I care? Hell no!! I'm not quitting just yet, that damn punk!

So this means... now I have a love rival?!

Neji walked over to Kakashi and greeted him cheerfully, while Shikamaru mentally had to facepalm. "Hi, Kakashi-sensei."

Kakashi was too lost in thoughts to reply. This caught not just Neji's attention.

"Hey, sensei?!" Naruto shouted. That made Kakashi look up with a sudden jolt.

"Ah... sorry, Neji," Kakashi said apologetically. "Are you feeling better now, then?"

"Yeah. I'll be up for missions in a week."

Naruto smiled at the somewhat nostalgic sight, as he felt a lonely ache in his heart. There was no significant other for him. Kakashi ... well, no one knew who he liked, now that Obito and Run were married. And everyone thought that Tenten and Neji would be getting together soon.

The poor Hokage had no idea that almost every person he knew had started to have feelings for him. And Shikamaru wasn't going to stress him out further by telling him. Ignorance was bliss, after all... wasn't it?