Changing Will {12}

My eyes snapped open at the sound of screaming. I scrambled to sit up, looking at Will as he yelled and thrashed around.

                “Will!” I cried, grabbing a flailing arm and restraining it. “Will, wake up!”

                His eyes shot open and he yelled in terror, pulling his arm out of my grip and crawling backwards, clumsily falling out of his bed. He looked around wildly, pulling his knees up to his chest and wrapping his arms around them.

                He buried his face in his knees, panting. I slowly got out of his bed and approached him, kneeling next to him.

                “I didn’t think I looked that scary in the morning,” I said.

                He laughed weakly. “Sorry about that.”

                “It’s alright. Get up,” I said, pulling him to his feet. I wrapped my arms around his trembling body. He had a sheet of sweat rolling down his skin, and his hair was sticking to his forehead.

                “What time is it?” he asked.

                “It’s a little past two in the morning,” I said, glancing at the clock.

                “Sorry I woke you up,” he mumbled, putting his arms around me.

                “You didn’t do it on purpose,” I said with a shrug. “Guess I’m not a very good dream catcher.”

                “You talk in your sleep,” he said. “I woke up about an hour ago because I was cold, and you were talking.”

                “I have a habit of that,” I said with a nod. My parents had told me.

                “You were crying out for help,” he informed me.

                “I had a terrible nightmare that Ronald McDonald was trying to finagle me in places I should never be finagled,” I said.

                “You’re a liar,” he said.

                “I am,” I agreed.

                “So what were you dreaming about?” he asked me.

                “I don’t know,” I said honestly. I had a habit of waking up in the middle of the night, covered in sweat, screaming. I would tremble and be too terrified to sleep. But I could never remember what the dream had been about, and sometimes I didn’t know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

                He pulled me back over to his bed and laid down with me in his arms. He buried his face against my hair.

                I gently rubbed his back. “Going to be okay, Will?”

                “Fine,” he mumbled, picking his head up. “It’s…easier. It’s a lot easier with you here.”

                “Just adopt me as your new teddy bear,” I said.

                “Oh, shut up,” he said, rolling his eyes.

                Still, he kept his arms around me. Our bodies curved together, and I buried my face against his bare chest to hide my grin. Just the other day, Will had claimed to be straight. Now he was cuddling shirtless with another boy.