Changing Will {7}

“I wanna feel reckless, wanna live it up just because,” my music sang in my ears. I pulled an earphone out as I approached the lunch table.

                “We’re going to my house tonight Ethan. My mom made cookies and my dad is doing a cookout,” Benji said.

                “I still can’t believe you invited the fatass,” Sonnet grumbled.

                My heart just about stopped. Will was going to be at Benji’s house tonight? Ha, talk about a jackpot.

                “What? I’m friends with him too!” Benji whined. “And my dad told me to invite him to come tonight!”

                “Hey, I’m not complaining about it,” I said with a grin.

                “I can’t tell if Will likes you or not,” Sonnet said, looking curious.

                “Really? Usually it’s easy to tell if Will likes someone,” Benji said.

                “Not always. Will openly likes a few people, like you. But with most people, he’s really hard to read,” Sonnet said with a shrug.

                I shot her an understanding look. Will was an incredibly complicated person to read, and it made me frustrated. I never had trouble reading people, but Will seemed to be an exception.

                “Are you going to come, Ethan?” Benji asked.

                “What, and miss the chance to be surrounded by cute boys? Of course I’ll be there,” I said.

                “Please don’t turn my brother,” Sonnet groaned. “I’ll freaking castrate you, Ethan.”

                “That doesn’t sound pleasant,” I said.

                “She’s terrifying,” Benji said, inching his chair away from Sonnet.

                Gideon pulled Benji close and kissed his cheek. “I’ll protect you, Greyson.”

                “Oh please. If Sonnet attacked, it would be every man for himself,” I said.

                “It’s the thought that counts,” Gideon said with a shrug. He winced as Benji smacked him in the arm.

                “You are uninvited,” Benji said with a pout.

                “Greyson!” Gideon said with a frown.

                “Wait, wait, wait. Let me guess: ‘Oh Gideon, I’m so sorry I uninvited you! Of course you can come! I love you so much!’ And then…BAM! Make out scene,” I said.

                “You’re an asshole,” Benji reminded me patiently.

                “Thank you,” I said, bowing.

                “And I don’t like you,” he said.

                “Oh Benji. Don’t lie to yourself,” I said with a wink.

                He sighed and turned, talking to Gideon. I watched him, hiding a smile. This was our relationship. It was playfully mean. It was brotherly. It would never be a romantic relationship, and I had known that from the beginning. I had seen that in Benji’s eyes.