Chapter 35

Titania

I looked to Haley. A tear drifted down my cheek as she looked at me with her emerald eyes. Her words were sweet and mispronounced, but I understood them, "Was wong mummy?" she asked, her eyes growing concerned.

"Mummy's just tired, Baby." I whispered, stroking her soft hair.

"Sleep." She said with a smile. I almost lost it right there. But I held back my sobs as I smiled back at her, "I will. But Haley, you're going to go on a holiday with grandpa." I said, choking on my words.

Her eyes lit up but she didn't say anything.

"You and Grandpa are going to go somewhere, just the two of you. Ok?"

"Yay!" she yelped. I felt a little piece of my heart disappear at her word. She had no idea.

My father entered the room, "Are you ready?" he asked, his face sad.

I nodded mutely.

He looked to Haley and gave her a smile. He was old now. I felt bad at making him do this but it was all I could do. "Hey Princess! You ready?" he asked in an excited voice.

"Yes! Yes!" she shouted in my arms, squirming in my arms to be put down.

My father looked at me with concern before he wrapped his arms around me. I sobbed into his shoulder as he stroked my hair, "It's ok my girl. Everything will be ok."

I pulled away, wiping the remanding tears away before Haley could see. My father took her out of my arms and as he left my room, she looked over his shoulder and waved at me. I waved back at her, trying so desperately to hide my shattering heart...

...

Melanie

A raven appeared at the window. I smiled as I passed the note to it, knowing it would get back to Bridgette.

I had found the key in one of the guards' pockets. Since then, I have been wandering around the castle looking for a way out. Bridgette and I had known this plan, she would send a raven and I would write down the place where we would meet.

A boy walked towards me and I pulled my hood tighter over my ears. He smiled, he had blondish-orange hair and brown eyes. When he smiled, a dimple showed on his right cheek. He wasn't bad looking. I smiled back politely and kept walking.

That's when i saw the door, finally, freedom. Troops of our soldiers would break in any minute after I got out. They would save the other civilians, but I had to get out before they could be saved.

...

We met just outside the boundries of the kingdom. Bridgette embraced me as soon as she saw me, "Ugh, Little Wolf, you took too long!' she said teasingly.

"You should have trained me better." I said.

'BOOM' an explosion went off nearby.

I looked to Bridgette with panic, "The city!"

Bridgette nodded and we leapt onto our horses.

"Where are you going?" a voice said behind us. a shiver ran down my spine at the eeriness of it.

I looked to Bridgette. Her face had gone pale and her eyes were flooded with fear, something I had never seen in her before.

Bridgette

That voice. That terrifying voice that made me wwant to throw up.

I felt a sudden chill roll down my body as I uttered my next words, "Damian."

Melanie's eyes widened, but I couldn't think of her. I turned around, getting off my horse. I don't know why, but I had to talk to him. I needed to tell him that it wasn't my fault.

I saw him. He looked just like I remembered. His hair, the same colour as mine was cut short. His brown eyes were intense as they raked across my face. His muscly build that he got from my father.

His eyes went to Melanie as she got off her horse. Run. I screamed inside my head, but I was frozen. I couldn't move.

A hooded girl came out from behind one of the trees, "Damian," she said, her voice was high-pitched and creepy in my ears, "get on with it. Our master is waiting to be risen."

Damian didn't look away from me, "Just do your part." He mumbled.

The girl vanished. A scream started behind me before being cut off. I turned towards it. Melanie was gone.

A muffled cry sounded from one of the trees behind Damian. I looked to the owner of the noise. Melanie was tied to one of the trees with rope, her mouth was covered with a piece of cloth.

"Melanie!" I cried without thinking.

The girl smiled an eerie smile before pulling a knife from her cloak and pressing it against Melanie's neck.

"Stop!" I screamed. No, this couldn't be happening! He couldn't be here! Why was this happening!

Damian smirked, a dimple on his right cheek showing, "Oh sister, did you replace me?"

"Damian, I'm begging you. Please don't do this." I begged.

The girl's smile grew wider and I saw Melanie whimper as the knife pressed harder into her skin.

"Damian!" I screamed.

He shrugged at me.

I summoned a flame in my hand and lunged for him, slamming him to the ground. I thrusted my fist into his face, leaving a red mark where I had hit him. Then I felt it. An exploding pain ricocheting around my gut. I screamed and rolled off him.

I heard Melanie scream and two hands were on me. I looked up at the person who held me by the shoulders roughly. Damian wore a smirk, "Any last words Bridgette?" he asked.

I gave him a weak smirk of my own, "Yeah," I said, reaching into my pocket and pulling out a dagger, "get fucked Damian." I said before plunging the dagger into his heart.

He let go of me and I collapsed to the ground. My vision went blurry. I heard Melanie's screams again. Another pair of hands were on me. I looked up, expecting to see Damian, but I was greeted with Melanie's tear0filled, grey eyes. I gave her a weak smile, "Hey Little Wolf." I said with a laugh, I winced at the pain.

"Bridgette. You're going to be ok." She said, but I could tell she was doubting her words.

I put my hand on hers, "No. I'm not." I said. "Melanie, I need to give you something." I whispered, reaching into my pocket, I pulled out a necklace. A small red gem was hanging from a sliver chain. I brought it up to her, "I want you to help those who need it. I want you to be the new Phoenix, Little Wolf."

She shook her head, biting her lip to keep the tears at bay, but it wasn't working.

"I am so proud of you. I love you, Little Wolf."

And that was all I said before the darkness slowly clouded my vision.

"Bridgette? Bridgette! Bridgette please! Please don't leave me!!!"

I let out a long breath before everything stopped...