Chapter 32

Alex

The archway was still there. The water was still flowing but there was something behind it. I stepped forward, bracing myself as the cold water slipped down my neck. I stepped forward and walked under the archway.

My jaw dropped. I had walked into a land of beauty. Open blue skies stretched onwards, birds that I had never see before were flying in the sky. Below them were green fields that stretched for miles before dropping down suddenly. On those fields were trees, bigger than any I had ever seen before. Each of those trees were entwining their branches as if they were holding hands. Small houses littered the green meadows and people and beasts alike were scattered everywhere. But what stood out most was the giant tree in the middle. The one that stretched far above the clouds and towered all the other features.

Something big flew past me and I yelled in surprise as two, giant creatures set down on the cliffs edge where I was standing. The creatures were horses, larger that two men combined. On their backs were giant wings made of feathers. Their tails were ones of lions, matching the colours of the horses. I smiled as I realised what they were: Pegasus.

Harrison and Dane came out of the archway as soon as they heard me yell. Both of their eyes widened at the sight of the winged beasts. Harrison averted his eyes to a wall behind us where the archway stood. A message was carved into the stone:

'Ride the wings to the town of the trees.'

I sighed, "Let's get on them then."

They both looked at me like I was nuts. But I climbed onto the giant horse without looking at them. The horse didn't struggle or stir under me – it must have to do this a lot. I could feel it's heart beating under its skin, a steady thumping that radiated through the body.

Dane and Harrison rolled their eyes and Dane jumped onto the horse I was on, Harrison took the second horse. As soon as we were settled, the winged beasts bounded off the cliff's edge, gliding in the air. I heard the steady, loud flapping off the wings cutting through the air. The horses mane was nicking at my cheeks as it flew, but I didn't care. The air was rushing at my face, making it burn. I let out a whoop of joy and excitement. I looked back to see Harrison clinging to his beast with wide eyes.

I looked up worriedly as the thumping of the horses wings became silent. The horse's wings were sticking to its body and we were going down at a fast pace. We were going to crash! I tried pulling up on the horses mane but it didn't listen, it just kept going down head-first. Harrison let out a scream and Dane tightened his grip on my shoulders. We were ten meters from the ground. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five, four, three. Two! I closed my eyes as I felt the Pegasus pull up sharply. And sighed in relief as it landed on the ground with a rough gallop. A man with small eyes and tanned skin was standing on the ground waiting for us. His bright red hair was shaved everywhere but a thick line down the middle that was pulled into a ponytail. He looked at us with distaste as we climbed off the horses, "Are you King Alex?" he said, his voice was deep and sounded slightly disappointed.

I cleared my throat, "Yes. I am here to see Titania, you may not know her. Does she live around here?"

The man smirked, "Yeah, I know her. Everyone does. Follow me." He said.

He walked into a cave. We followed him and as soon as we entered the cave, there was another portal. We walked through it and appeared at the entrance of a large city.

Music, smells and warmth flooded my senses. Tree's lined the streets, but they weren't normal trees. They had doors and windows, stuff you would only see in fairy tails. People lined the streets. Children of all ages chased each other and people were cooking and smiling. It was the perfect image of what a kingdom was supposed to be. In the centre of the town was a statue that looked familiar. I smiled as I realised what it was. It was the statue that was outside Katy's library. Fountains and wells were scattered around the town and a market place was set up just in front of the he tree I had seen from the cliff. The tree – like the other, smaller trees – had a door, but it was a large, extravagant entry with guards. On it's branches I saw small buildings.