Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Melanie

"Wow." I said dumbly.

"Yeah." Bridgette said. She had her arms hanging beside her loosely but her hands were clenched so tight her knuckles were turning white.

"I- I just thought Damian was a guard who disliked you, or one of your exes you pissed off." I said. I felt terrible now that I realised the greater impact of what I had said earlier when Bridgette had tried to stop me from running.

Bridgette smiled slightly, "I wish it was that simple. I've ran into him a few times."

"How can he fight you?" I asked, "I mean, you have trained in combat and he's just a farm boy."

"He left to train as a knight." She said, "He wants to hunt me down for killing them."

"Your parents?" I asked – what was with me and asking dumb questions?

"Yeah." She said weakly.

"But, you didn't start the fire. You said it yourself, you woke up and it had already started."

"I know Melanie. Trust me, I know. I went back and looked over and over for any other explanation but there wasn't any. All I found was some scorch marks at the front of the house that were created earlier than the rest." She shrugged, "But I can't think what – or who – could've started the fire but me."

"I'm sorry." I said, it just rolled off my tongue without my being able to stop it.

"I'm over it." She said, then, she gave a yawn, "Well, I'm off to bed. Don't wake me up in the morning, I don't want to be hungover." She said as she wandered back into the house and slumped down on the cushions.

...\

Titania

I cursed myself over and over silently as I ate breakfast. I had wanted to be strong, but once again I was the weak one of the group. I also wished this whole pregnant thing would be over soon. I didn't know how people though this was magical, it was more like a nightmare. I felt my stomach twist again and I pulled the bucket closer to me.

Shane waltzed into the room casually, "How are you feeling?" he asked as he set himself down beside me.

"Pregnant." I croaked.

He gave me a chuckle and I felt myself grin. "Sounds fun." He said, stroking my cheek with his hand.

I felt my eyelids droop and gave a yawn.

"You need to sleep." He said.

"I'm fine. I'm not tired at all." I said, trying to hide my yawn.

"You haven't had a good sleep since you came to the labs a year ago. Don't think I haven't noticed the bags under your eyes."

I felt heat rush to my face. "I don't know what you're talking about. I feel fine."

"You're clutching the bucket like it hold the secret to life itself. You fainted this morning when you woke up. You're not fine." He said with a small smile. He kissed my forehead, "You can go back if you want."

"Where?" I asked, puzzled by the question.

"Home. We can go back. I know you want to help me with this but I can easily send Bridgette to the Black Magi. We can go home, I can start up a business that can get us enough money to get a house." He said with a smile, "That would be the best for the baby anyway."