Chapter 13

Titania

"Ugh, ow." I moaned as we all sat together eating.

Bridgette poked at her food, "What's up?"

"It feels like little dwarfs are pounding my head with hammers." I rubbed my temples with my fingertips but the headache wouldn't go away.

Melanie smiled, "Maybe there are little dwarfs in your head." She said before she had another spoonful of her scrambled eggs.

Alex perked his head up, he had huge bags under his eyes – which was odd because we all went to bed early last night – and his hair was a mess, "Are dwarfs real?"

Jake scoffed, nearly choking on his water.

Bridgette shook her head with a mocking smile, "No, but there are other things."

"Like what?" I asked, it was something I had never thought about before that now demanded my attention.

Melanie swallowed her food, "Elves, fairies, vampires," she paused for a moment before nodding towards Jake, "werewolves. There are too many to list."

"What about Black Magi?" Alex asked, trying to seem casual but failing.

Bridgette tilted her head to the side thoughtfully, "Not really much about them. They're almost unheard-of."

Melanie cut in, "But what we do know about them is limited. Like, they follow a certain religion – no one knows what it is – and are pretty much a giant cult. Their power relies on shadows and darkness."

"Spooky." Dane commented as he walked out of the bathroom in a towel that was wrapped around his waist, still wet from his bath.

My face burned red at his bare chest. His abbs were in full display and – from what I could see through my averted eyes – Bridgette was liking the show.

"Dane." Alex said, as if asking if this was necessary.

"What?" Dane said jokingly, "I'm sure everyone here has seen a man's chest before."

I buried my face in my hands and shook my head. This was too much.

I could hear Bridgette laugh, then after a moment, "You can open your eyes now sweetheart. The big bad nudity is gone."

We laughed as I saw that Dane was fully dressed. My cheeks were still red by the time we had finished – and woke Harrison up, which caused a few grumbles. My headache was gone after that.

...

Bridgette

We made the conclusion to go out looking for Camelia at night when civilians wouldn't get caught up in the madness. For now though, Melanie and Jake were digging up information on Camelia and the rest of us were going to try and work out what we could do with her – killing a child was out of the question.

We were all walking out in the open, thinking silently about this girl when Alex suddenly bursts out, "We can't kill her."

"No kidding." I said sarcastically. I'm pretty sure we all knew that wasn't an option.

"What I mean is, she's royalty." He said.

Titania stopped dead in her tracks and spun around to face Alex, her hair almost hitting Dane in the face. "What?"

"She's the dead princess." Harrison said under his breath.

"How do you know?" Dane looked at Harrison and before switching his gaze to Alex.