Chapter 8

Author's Note: Thank you to anyone who is reading this! It means so much to me! Please comment if you're enjoying it - or if you aren't, i would love to hear your criticism as it helps me become a better writer!

Bridgette

I felt the power surging in my veins, pumping my blood. I felt my eyes grow brighter – almost florescent – as I always did when I used extreme lengths of power. I sensed my usual small dress being replaced by a giant, red and orange, flowing dress made from different pieces of material.

Abby had stopped laughing now. The sphere of shimmering black air around her had protected her from Melanie and Jake when they attacked her. They had come at her with swords when the air had stared to shimmer and turn black. When they had struck the air around her, it had acted like a wall and sent a bolt of lightning through them, making them scream before they collapse to the ground. I drew the line at that.

I raised my hands over my head slowly before clasping them together. I felt my whole body freeze for a mere second before the flames around me were sucked high into the air. I heard a screech of a giant bird overhead and gave a small smile.

Titania

Bridgette was no longer in flames. Those flames had been sent into the air above her and transformed into something giant, something magnificent, something...something of pure power.

A giant bird made from flame flew majestically above her. It let out an ear-piercing screech and the word popped into my mind in an instant: Phoenix.

Abby froze. There was fear in her eyes as she tried desperately to keep that fear out of her voice, "You can't get to me. This force field covers any way you can get in. it is the best air magic there is."

Bridgette's eyes flickered to me with a smile, "If you knew anything about magic, you would know that what you have there, is actually one of the easiest forms of air magic. Also, the colour of the air is a dead giveaway that it isn't air magic at all."

"How would you know?!" she spat.

"Because I know a lot of air elementals and have witnessed many force fields. Enough to know that what you are doing is a cheap knockoff. You also have one weakness. Your force field cant go underground. Usually, that wouldn't matter. But today, I have an earth elemental with me, so in basic language, you're a dead bitch." Her smile grew wider and she winked at me. I knew what I had to do.

I slammed my hands to the ground, felt the earth beneath my fingertips, the rumbling of the soil beneath me. A hole opened up beneath Bridgette. I felt her slip into the earth. I felt her full trust in me, her whole life in my hands as I manipulated the earth to manoeuvre her towards Abby.

I ignored Abby's screams as they told me to stop. I ignored Alex's groaning, telling me he could wake up any moment and catch me doing magic. All I could think about was Bridgette's body down in the ground, without air. What happens to a fire when oxygen is cut off? Don't answer that.

I didn't relax until I felt Bridgette's body leave the earth. I felt nauseous but nothing too severe as I took deep, long breaths.

Bridgette

Abby's eyes were filled with terror as I rose from the ground. My smile wasn't there anymore. I didn't want to hurt a girl unless I needed to. "Give it up Abby."

She didn't say anything. Instead, she lunged at me, scraping her nails across my face. I felt a sharp sting but other than that, it didn't hurt. I shook my head, "You give me no choice then. I'm sorry." And that was all I said before the phoenix dove into the ground and appeared inside the force field. Nothing can get in or out of force fields. Abby witnessed that first hand as she desperately pounded on the black shimmering air, trying to escape the flames. I stood inside the sphere as the flames writhed inside it. I bit my lip as Abby's screams cut off suddenly. The force field dissipated along with my fire. I felt the energy being sucked from my body, leaving me collapsed on the floor. I had used so much power. I had bent fires to get Alex and Harrison out of the house. I had thrown more fireballs than I could count, I had summoned my beast – the phoenix.